[GushShalom] Military court recommends re-hearing for CO Ben Artzi

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Mon Aug 11 00:04:50 IDT 2003

GUSH SHALOM  pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 www.gush-shalom.org

{We were considering to pass on a translation of the Refuser Parents
press release, but then we saw that the version of Galili in Ha'aretz
includes most of it, and more.]

Military court recommends re-hearing for draft objector

By Lily Galili, Haaretz Correspondent

òáøéú
http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/spages/327964.html

English:

An unexpected twist occurred Sunday in the trial of draft refuser
Yonatan Ben-Artzi when a Jaffa military court recommended that he be
brought anew to the army's conscience committee.

In a well-publicized conscientious objection case, Ben-Artzi, the
nephew of former prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, has already
served 200 days in military prison after the committee refused in
an earlier hearing to recognize him as a pacifist. [Actually, Yoni is
already "celebrating" a year in prison. GS]

The Jaffa court on Sunday cut off summation discussion and issued its
recommendation for Ben-Artzi's re-appearance before the army's
conscience committee. It issued this recommendation to the IDF
Advocate General after conferring behind closed doors with the
prosecutor and defense counsel in the Ben-Artzi case.

The Jaffa court opined: "We believe that in light of new materials [that
have surfaced]...the army draft board should consider the arguments
for a re-hearing" of Ben-Artzi's claims.

The court was referring to the testimony of Yonatan Ben-Artzi himself,
as well as that of his sister and IDF Colonel Shlomo Simhi, who
headed the conscience panel before which Ben-Artzi originally
appeared.

Ben-Artzi's attorney, Michael Sefarad, said Sunday that he views the
court's recommendation as a rebuke of the decision reached by the
conscience committee to refuse to grant his client pacifist status.

In an appearance before the Jaffa court, Simhi stated that while Ben-
Artzi might genuinely believe that he is a conscientious objector,
the IDF committee believes otherwise.

--
A map of the separation wall:

http://www.gush-shalom.org/thewall/hebrew.html (òáøéú)
http://www.gush-shalom.org/thewall/index.html (English)

--
Our site:
http://www.gush-shalom.org/ (òáøéú)

with
\\photos - of actions or otherwise informative
\\the weekly Gush Shalom ad - in Hebrew and English
\\the columns of Uri Avnery - in Hebrew, Arab and English
\\and an archive full of interesting documents

N.B.:
On the Gush Shalom website links for:
Articles and documents in German, French and Spanish

In order to receive our Hebrew-language
press releases [mostly WORD documents -
not always same as English] mail to:
gush-shalom-heb-request at mailman.gush-shalom.org
+ NB: write the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

To get more of the forwarded reports and announcements
which we receive from other organizations + a selection of
English-language articles, send one blank mail to:
TOI_Billboard-subscribe at topica.com

If you want to support Gush Shalom's activities you can
send a cheque or cash, wrapped well in an extra piece
of paper to:

Gush Shalom
pob 3322
Tel-Aviv 61033
Israel

or ask us for charities in your country which receive
donations on behalf of Gush Shalom

Please, add your email address where to send our
confirmation of receipt. More official receipts at
request only.