[GushShalomPress] Invasion of Ramallah - the arrogance of power

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Tue Jun 11 04:41:25 IDT 2002

GUSH SHALOM - pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 - http://www.gush-shalom.org/

Press release
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Invasion of Ramallah - the arrogance of power
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

June 10, 2002. Thirty-five years ago on this date, a cease-fire was supposed to end a
war of six days. In retrospect it merely set the stage for a prolonged and agonizing war
that has already dragged on for three and a half decades.

Again and again, Israeli decision makers resorted to the illusion that their
overwhelming arsenal of tanks and helicopter gunships and fighter planes can
ensure a definite victory - always again coming up against the limitations of
power. "Operation Defensive Shield" of April this year, the latest effort in
that direction, already proved a hollow victory - as evident from the very fact
that Sharon found it necessary today to send his army yet again into Ramallah
and subject that city to the umpteenth occupation in the past year.
Once more the invasion is said to be aimed at "uprooting" a "terrorist
infrastucture" which the generals admit has the tendency to re-grow amazingly
fast.

By launching the present invasion of Ramallah on the very eve of his meeting
with President Bush, Sharon has demonstrated his confidence of having
Washington's virtually unlimited backing. The PM did not anticipate any
reprimand for the invasion nor a demand for withdrawal of the tanks from the
streets of Ramallah - and from all reports of the Bush-Sharon meeting, there
had been neither. The curfew imprisoning Ramallah's hundred thousand
inhabitants in their homes, and the new siege of Arafat's headquarters,  had
been declared to be "an act of self-defence".
The invasion of Ramallah also calls into doubt the issue of "reforms" in the
Palestinian Authority, which so occupied international diplomacy in the past
month and which still featured prominently on President Bush's pronouncements
of this evening. What use to debate the division of powers, the democratic
procedures and "transparency" of  a Palestinian governmental structure which
has been deprived of virtually any power to govern; an Authority whose citizens
are forbidden by an occupying army to leave their towns and villages and travel
even to the the nearest community, which can make no plans for the rest of the
week, to say nothing of the longer range, whose premises may be seized by
invading soldiers at a moment's notice and whose whose ministers may be
imprisoned in their homes by curfew and unable to gather for a cabinet meeting?

Talking of reforms in the structure of the Palestinian Authority could make
sense only on the assumption that the disabilities would be eventually removed,
that the PA's sovereign status will be restored and that the Authority would
still serve as the nucleus of an independent Palestine. But this is exactly
what the present Israeli government is determined to undermine by all means.
And the Bush administration remains evidently unable or unwilling to do
anything concrete to really implement the two-state vision which the President
is repeating ad nauseam. ("Conditions do not yet exist for peace in the Middle
East" the president said tonight - which may be true, but is that reason to
allow Sharon to make them worse?)
Obviously, Sharon is interested in one reform on the Palestinian side and one
reform only: the removal of Arafat. The PM's preferred way of implementing this
"reform" would be Israeli troops storming Arafat's headquarters. That is about
the only military operation which Bush has not (yet?) authorized - apprehensive
of a massive backlash in the Arab World destabilizing the pro-American regimes.
For his part, Sharon is said to be biding his time and waiting for a "mega
terrorist attack", with a death toll so massive that it would provide a
suitable pretext for the final attack upon Arafat, upon the Palestinian people.

Adam Keller, Gush Shalom spokesperson: +972-(0)3-5565804 / +972-(0)56-709603

[The following report from Ramallah which was written today, and which we received
just now from our member Yehudit Har'el may serve as an illustration.]

Date sent:      	Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:46:08 -0700
From:           	Yehudith Harel <ye_harel at netvision.net.il>

Enclosed by a message - just to give you another taste of what Life in Ramallah is like,
while Sharon is received in Washington like "Man of Peace...and while the World
tends to forget that the colonial War Israel is waging against the Palestinian people is
on and in full scale.  Yehudith

(...) The Israeli army is in Ramallah. We are under curfew and don't know exactly what
are they doing or why they are here. It was completely unexpected. My plans to
go to the conference in Italy seem to have evaporated. It is not just that the
Israelis feel they can come in and out, kill and destroy and arrest. It is
also that they seem to want us to know that they even own our time and our
schedules. Today children did not go to school. It is the last day of classes
and my son was looking forward to getting his certificate and say bye to other
kids. We could not take him to school obviously. My nephew has a graduation
from high school tomorrow and that will perhaps be cancelled. I am not saying
this is more tragic than killing, but it is another form of violence that we
have to deal with as a community. Not to mention that I was supposed to spend my
day working on the paper for the conference about violence in the Palestinian
narrative... how ironic...

Still I hope that I can make it to Italy somehow...

best wishes