[GushShalomPress] Dangerous! Peaceseeker! - 18 turned back at airport

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Tue Jul 2 17:49:40 IDT 2002

GUSH SHALOM - pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 - http://www.gush-shalom.org/

Press release
Palestinian negotiator & 17 American peace activists refused entry at the Airport

Today Michael Tarazi, member of the PLO Peace Negotiations team was refused entry
at Ben Gurion Airport upon his return from a visit to the United States. We spoke with
him on his mobile phone, while he was in the police station of the Ben-Gurion Airport -
but it was interrupted in the middle, and afterwards the phone was disconnected.
Tarazi, who has US citizenship, lives in Ramallah and works as the legal adviser for
the PLO negotiating team. Many Israelis have heard him speak, in house meetings,
but also in public halls where he gave his vision why the negotiations went wrong,
inspiring Israeli peace activists with hope. Preventing this man from entering Israel is
part of a war - not against terrorism, but against those peaceseeking Palestinians who
can  prove that "there is a partner" and thereby constitute a danger for the Israeli
propaganda machine.
For similar reasons also 17 members of Fellowship of Reconciliation from the US,
were refused entry when they arrived at BG Airport. The FOR members were to meet
with Knesset members (e.g., Yosi Sarid) as well as with activist groups.

Already for a few months the Israeli army keeps the international press away from the
Palestinian areas during its reconquest operations.

Adam Keller
Gush Shalom spokesperson

	----
    Full transcript of the war crimes panel available on the Gush site
    For Hebrew   http://www.gush-shalom.org/archives/forum.html
    For English  http://www.gush-shalom.org/archives/forum_eng.html
    French available at request

Also on the site:
    photo's - of action or otherwise informative
    the weekly Gush Shalom ad - in Hebrew and English
    the columns of Uri Avnery - in Hebrew, Arab and English
    (and a lot more)
		http://www.gush-shalom.org

In order to receive our Hebrew press releases [mostly WORD documents - not always
same as English] mailto: gush-shalom-heb-request at mailman.gush-shalom.org + NB:
write the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

If you want to support Gush Shalom's activities you can send a cheque or
cash, wrapped well in an extra piece of paper, to:

     Gush Shalom pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033

or ask us for charities in your country which receive donations on behalf of Gush
Shalom

(Please, add your email address where to send our confirmation of receipt.
 More official receipts at request only.)

For more about Gush Shalom  you are invited to visit our renewed website:
               http://www.gush-shalom.org/