[GushShalom] TREASON TRIALS FOR GUSH SHALOM ACTIVISTS, SAYS IAF CHIEF

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Wed Aug 21 15:16:13 IDT 2002

GUSH SHALOM - pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 - http://www.gush-shalom.org/

For immediate release

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
-- IAF chief Major General Dan Halutz urges treason trials for Gush Shalom activists
-- Gush Shalom calls for international support and assistance by international lawyers
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The following headline appears on the frontpage in Ha'aretz Hebrew, as well as on the
English internet edition (not in the English printed edition):

IAF CHIEF URGES TREASON TRIALS FOR LEFTIST GUSH SHALOM ACTIVISTS

In a preview to a big interview Ha'aretz Correspondent Vered Levy-Barzilai writes:

Attacking leftist Gush Shalom activists for threatening to extradite Israeli air force
pilots to the international court at the Hague for alleged war crimes, IAF Commander
Major General Dan Halutz has urged brining the activists to trial.

"What I have to say about those people is this: we live in a democratic country, and
expressing an opinion is always allowed, but betrayal is not allowed," Halutz told
Ha'aretz in an interview. When asked if he suggests placing the Gush Shalom activists
on trial on charges of treason, he replied, "The proper offense as defined by law should
be found, and they should be tried in Israel."

In his first interview since the controversial July 23 air strike on a crowded Gaza
neighborhood that kill Hamas military leader Salah Shehadeh, as well as 15 civilians
including nine children, Halutz said "The decision making process was correct,
balanced, and careful. The problem was with the information, the information changed.
I reject all the criticism about this operation, before, during and after."

Halutz referred to the operation as "militarily and morally" proper.

He said that it is legitimate to strike at a terrorist even if innocent bystanders will be
hurt. "I have no doubt about it," he said. "Against a man who committed or is positively
known to have the planning in hand for 'mega-terror,' my answer is categorically yes.
How many people? I don't know."

[So far the preview of the interview with the Air Force commander - to appear in the
weekend supplement.]

We sent you earlier the comments of the Prime Minister after he visited the Air Force
base. It's clear that there is a concerted effort to silence Gush Shalom and put its
activists behind bars. And with Major General Dan Halutz suggesting to try us for
treason - be aware that treason is the only offense in Israel for which there exists
capital punishment, though it has not been applied since 1948.

In the media expressions of the Israeli governmental and military leadership Gush
Shalom is becoming more and more of a giant. For the simple action of having sent
warning letters  to a number of officers, with copies to the ministry and to the press (by
the way: none was sent to pilots!) we are now already depicted as "threatening to
extradite Israeli air force pilots".
The IAF chief actually tries to defend the act of throwing a one ton bomb, in the night
of July 22/23,  on an appartment building in Gaza, killing 15 civilians, among them nine
children, together with Hamas leader Shehadeh [an hour after Palestians agreed on a
cease-fire). Opposition leader Yossi Sarid defined it as an act of state terrorism, and
not him alone.
In these circumstances it seems we are now made into the scapegoat for all the
national and international criticism which was expressed, and which reportedly is
greatly worrying the involved pilots.

Halutz' attitude of "no regret, on the contrary" was reason for us to apply today to the
IDF Judge Advocate General asking him to prosecute the general and the subordiantes
directly involved. We wrote that general Halutz' continuing assertion that there was
nothing wrong with the bombing and that it would be also in the future justified, is
making an investigation of the matter all the more urgent.

With the fury of all those who know they don't have a clean record directed against us
we have called upon our international contacts to form an international support group,
and for a committee of international lawyers to assist us.

For more information:
Uri Avnery
Adam Keller
ph: +972-3-5565804 / +972-56-709603 / +972-56-709604