(Fwd) Letter to a Pilot - Avnery answers the Air Force Commander

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Sun Aug 25 15:37:40 IDT 2002

GUSH SHALOM - pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 - http://www.gush-shalom.org/

From:           	"Uri Avnery" <avnery at actcom.co.il>

Hi,
I hope the attached will interest you.
Latest developments:
Gush Shalom has submitted an official complaint to the army Chief
Advocate against the commander of the Air Force and others
concerning this action.
The government Attorney General is still looking for grounds to indict
us.
Salamaat, Shalom,
uri

Letter to a Pilot
  Uri Avnery - 24.8.02

       I have read the interview given by your commander, Major General Dan Halutz,
and, like many others in Israel and abroad, I  was shocked.
       On July 23, one of your comrades (or perhaps you yourself?)   dropped a one-ton
bomb on a house in a dense residential   neighborhood in Gaza. The aim was to
execute, without trial,   Salah Shehadeh,  a Hamas activist. Apart from him, 16
neighbors,   including 11 children, were killed. Tens of other men, women and
children were wounded.
       In school you certainly learned the words of the famous poem   by Bialik, the
national poet, "Even Satan has not invented the   revenge of a little child." I assumed
that you are torn by doubt   after this act, that you look at your children and tell
yourself:   "Children are children. How are their children responsible for the   situation?"
       And here comes your commander and says that you have no  pangs of
conscience, none whatsoever. I don't know whether he is telling the truth or slandering
you.
       The general says that he told you: "Your execution was   perfect...You did
exactly what you were told to do...You did not   deviate one inch left or right...You have
no problem."
       Those who do have problems with this action and protest   against it (like myself)
are called by the general "bleeding   hearts...a insignificant and vociferous minority..."
He accuses us   of "daring to use methods of mafia-style blackmail against
fighters...treason is forbidden...a paragraph must be found in the   law in order to put
them to trial in Israel...(this) reminds me of dark   time of the Jewish people, when a
minority amongst us informed   against other Jews."  He also condemns "the
obsession of some   journalists...they are bored...so they jump..."
       These extreme utterances do not testify to the mental   tranquility of the general,
who says that he has "a deep feeling of   justice and morality." I would say that on the
head of the general,   the blue cap is burning.*  Each word betrays hysteria.
       But the style must cause deep anxiety. The words would have   sounded natural if
uttered by a general in Argentina or Chile   during the military dictatorship, or by a
Turkish officer about to   topple the civilian government. When an Israeli general uses
such   words against the media and civil society, a red light is turned on.   The more
so since he was not summarily dismissed but, on the   contrary, publicly lauded.
Israeli democracy is losing height.
       But I do not want to speak with you about Dan Halutz, but   about yourself.
       Who are you? What are you?
       One of the pilots explained to the interviewer, Vered Levy-  Barzilai: "(That) is the
uniqueness and the beauty of the world of   the pilot. You sit up above, quietly, with
your wide space. There   are no noises, no booms, no shouts of people. You are
totally   focused on the target, you don't have the dirt and the horror of the   battlefield.
You do your thing and head home."
       Dan Halutz, too, describes his feelings thus: "If you really want   to know what I
feel when I release a bomb, I will tell you: I feel a   slight bump to the plane as a result
of the bomb's release. A   second later it's gone, and that's all. That's what I feel."
       "That's all." Down below horrible things happen, mutilated   bodies fly in the air,
wounded human beings writhe in pain,   people buried under the debris utter their last
groan, women   scream over the bodies of their children, a scene of hell, not   different
from the scene of a suicide bombing - and "that's all". A   slight bump to the plane,
and then home, to a warm shower and   bed.
       I must confess that it is hard for me to imagine this experience. I   did my combat
service in the infantry, I saw who I was shooting at   and who was shooting at me; I
could at any moment have been   wounded (as I was) and killed. It is difficult for me to
imagine the   experience of a person up in the sky, sowing death and   destruction
without being in any danger himself.
       Is this pilot - you! - afflicted by doubt? Does he sometimes   torment himself?
Does he ask himself if a certain action is   permitted, moral, right? Or does he - you! -
become a robot, a   "professional" who is proud of his perfect control over the
awesome machine-of-death entrusted to him and of the "exact"   execution of his
orders?
       I know that not all pilots are robots. I still see before my eyes   Colonel Yig'al
Shohat reading from his paper, with a voice   trembling with emotion, his historic
appeal to his fellow-pilots and   pupils in the Air Force to refuse manifestly illegal
orders, such as   precisely this action in Gaza. Shohat, a war-hero who was shot
down over Egypt and whose leg was amputated by an Egyptian   surgeon, is the exact
opposite of Halutz.
       You must decide - to be a human being like Shohat, sensitive   to the suffering of
others, or a robot like Halutz, who feels a slight   bump while he kills dozens of human
beings.
       The Rules of War were born after the Thirty Years War, one of   the most horrible
in the annals of Europe, a holocaust in which a   third of the German nation was wiped
out and two thirds of   Germany laid waste. The international conventions are based on
  the conviction that even in a hard war, when each side is fighting   for existence, the
commandments of human morality must be kept.
       Don't make it easy for yourself by adopting the primitive   slogans of Halutz, who
justifies everything by saying that   Shehadeh was "evil incarnate", words which betray
his ultra-  rightist world-view. Shehadeh was not put on trial. None of his   alleged acts
were proven. He certainly believed that he was   serving his people, as you believe that
you are serving yours. But   even if it were proven that he was a dangerous enemy, this
does   not justify in any way the killing of his neighbors. The argument   that this
wholesale killing prevented the killing of Jews is not   valid. When the pilot released his
bomb he knew for certain that   he was killing many people, while Shehadeh's ability to
kill us was   only an assumption. On the other hand, it was certain that this   killing
would lead to acts of revenge, and that much Jewish flood   would flow because of it.
Furthermore, there is a hell of a   difference between a guerilla group and a mighty
army acting on   behalf of a state.
       Under these circumstances, would you have told your   commander: "I refuse to
fulfill this order, because it is manifestly   illegal?" Israeli law and human morality
oblige you to do so. But   Dan Halutz says: "Refusal to perform a sortie is not part of
the   rules of my game."
       What about the rules of y o u r game?

*An allusion to the Jewish adage: "On the head of the thief, the hat is burning,"
meaning that his behavior discloses his guilt.