[fwd] Joint Palestinian-Israeli Call for Peace + Refusernews etc.

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Mon Mar 31 19:52:32 IDT 2003

/////////////////
     Gush Shalom
     ////////////////////

March 31, 2003

[] A Call for Peace - A joint Palestinian - Israeli appeal
[] Tomorrow 10.30, Noam Bahat - 6th CO to be court-martialed. Please be there!!!
[] Also if you can't come, you can support the COs legal struggle
[] Friday, April 11 - big demo 'We Refuse To Serve The Occupation'
[] Demo against war in Iraq, April 2, 3 PM US Embassy Tel Aviv

                                \\//\\//\\//\\//

[] A Call for Peace - A joint Palestinian - Israeli appeal
Date sent:      	Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:24:26 +0200
From:           	Yehudith Harel <ye_harel at netvision.net.il>

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

A Call for Peace - and Joint Action - was recently drafted by a group of Israeli and Palestinian
activists. We joined together as Individuals and not as representatives of any organizations. A
partial list of the initial Palestinian and Israeli supporters follows the text of the appeal.

If you are a Palestinian or an Israeli ONLY ( living in Palestine, Israel or the Diaspora), you are

invited to join this Call for Peace.

After the collection of a signifficant amount of signatures we will publish the text in Israeli and

Palestinian papers*, and will try to initiate relevant activities to forward and realize our vision
.

Israelis and Palestinians ONLY who wish to join - please mail your full name and place of
residence to: ye_harel at netvision.net.il

Yehudith Harel

(* we will ask you to cover the expenses of the publication...)

                              A Call for Peace

We, Israelis and Palestinians, wish to state at these critical moments, that while war is always
a tragedy by itself, this illegal and frightful American war on Iraq could lead to a terrible setba
ck
to the hopes and expectations of a just Palestinian-Israeli peace. Especially so, if the extremist
Sharon government, which strongly supports this war, will use this opportunity to undertake its
dreadful design against the Palestinian people living                         under the Israeli
occupation.

The experience of more than 50 years of conflict between the State of Israel and the Palestinian
people proves, beyond a shadow of doubt, that the problem cannot be solved by force. The
continued occupation creates resistance to it in various forms. Therefore, the occupation is
responsible for the suffering of both Palestinians and Israelis, condemning them to a life of
physical insecurity, economic crisis and social disintegration.
At the same time, we wish to express our profound concern about the incidents of extreme
violence, resulting from the intensification of the Israeli military occupation of the Palestinian
Territories and of the Palestinian attacks inside Israel.
We condemn the brutal policy of the Israeli government aimed at destroying the Palestinian
society, the Palestinian economy and the elected Palestinian leadership Headed By President
Yasser Arafat. The erection of the ‘apartheid wall’ is a further device to help the ethnic
cleansing against the Palestinian people.
However, we believe that there is no way to put an end to the acts of all forms of violence,
without a just peace based on the co-existence of two states for the two peoples. This solution
should be based on the June 4, 1967 borders, with two capitals in Jerusalem, the evacuation of
Israeli settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, and a just solution to the refugee
problem by agreement between the two sides and cooperation between them and the
international community, based on the relevant UN resolutions.
We emphasize again our call for complete termination of all attacks on civilians, both on the
Israeli and Palestinians sides. We believe that on both sides there are forces that are willing to
reopen the way to peace. We call on the international community to urgently intervene in the
interests of ending the violence on both sides and concluding a final peace agreement.
We finally call on everybody who supports these ideas to speak out now in support of an Israeli-
Palestinian peace front against the occupation, for mutual recognition and peace between the
two nations.
In order to facilitate cooperation between the forces of peace on both sides and their joint effort
on a day-to-day basis, we hereby establish the ‘Joint Action Group for Israeli-Palestinian
Peace’.
List of initial Israeli and Palestinian supporters in alphabetical order:

1) Dr. Samir Abdalla
President of Arab Centre of Agricultural Development
Professor in Economics A'Najah University.
Nablus

2) Shulamit Aloni
Former Minister in Rabin's Cabinet
Jurist and Guest Lecturer
Tel Aviv U. Law School

3. Prof. Colman Altman,
Dept of Physics,
Technion, Haifa

4. Dr. Janina Altman,
Chemist (retired)
Haifa

5. Prof. Daniel Amit,
Dept of Physics,
Hebrew University,
Jerusalem

6. Prof. Zalman Amit
Professor Emeritus
Concordia University
Montreal, Canada

7. Dr. Yossi Amitay,
Dept. of Middle East Studies,
Ben-Gurion University
Beersheva

8. Dr. Meir Amor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Concordia University
Montreal, Canada

9. Dr. Hanan Ashrawi, PLC Member,
Director general of"Miftah" -
Centre for Global dialogue and Democracy
Ramallah

10. Uri Avnery,
Journalist
Tel Aviv

11. Dr Ariella Azoulay,
Camera Obscura School of Art
and Bar Ilan University
Ramat Gan

12. Dr. Gabi Baramki
ex president of Bir-Zeit university
Ramallah

13. Prof. Anat Biletzki,
Chair of the Board of B'Tselem,
Dept. of Philosophy
Tel Aviv University

14. Prof. Victoria Buch,
Dept. of Chemistry
Hebrew University
Jerusalem

15. Prof. Naomi Chazan, former MK
African Studies
Hebrew University
Jerusalem

16. Dr. Raya Cohen,
Dept. of Jewish History
Tel Aviv University

17. Prof. Gideon Freudenthal
History of Philosophy of Science
Tel Aviv University

18. Prof. Rachel Giora
Dept. of Linguistics
Tel Aviv University

19. Yehudith Harel
Organizational Psychologist
and Peace Activist
Ramat Ha Sharon

20 . Dr. Manuel Hassasian
Vice President of BetLehem University
Betlehem

21. Dr. Sara Helman
Department of Behavioral Sciences
Ben Gurion University
Beersheva

22. Prof. Hannan Hever
Dept. of Hebrew Literature
The Hebrew University,
Jerusalem

23. Dr. Ghassan Khatib
Minister of Labour in Palestine
Ramallah

24. Prof. Baruch Kimmerling
Dept. of Sociology
Hebrew University,
Jerusalem

25. Dr. Orly Lubin,
Department of Poetics and Comparative Literature,
Tel Aviv University,

26. Dr. Ahmad Majdalani
Editor of "People's Struggle Magazine"
Professor at Bir Zeit University
Ramallah

27. Dr. Ruchama Marton
Psychiatrist
Director of PHR
Tel Aviv

28. Dr. Isaac (Yanni) Nevo,
Ben Gurion University,
Beersheva

29. Prof. Adi Ophir,
History of Philosophy and ideas
Tel-Aviv University

30. Prof. Avraham Oz
Department of Theatre
University of Haifa

31. Prof. Gabi Piterberg,
Department of History,
UCLA.

32. Prof. Tanya Reinhart
Dept. of Poetics and Comparative Literature
Dept. of Linguistics
Tel Aviv University

33. Prof. Tova Rosen
Dept. of Hebrew Literature
Tel Aviv University

34. Dr. Samih Shbeeb
Writer and Columnist in local Palestinian
and Arab Magazines and Newspapers.

35. Mahmoud Shqir
Novelist,
Director General at the Palestinian Cultural Ministry.

36. Dr. Azmi Shuabi, PLC member
Secretary general for" Aman" centre -
Monitoring Transparency and Accountability in Palestine.

37. Prof. Oren Yiftachel
Chair, Dept. of Geography,
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
Editor, 'Hagar: International Social Science Review'

[] Tomorrow 10.30, Noam Bahat - 6th CO to be court-martialed. Please be there!!!