[GushShalom] 'Not Again' testimony of an ISMer + what you can do

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Sun Apr 13 03:14:29 IDT 2003

GUSH SHALOM - pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 - http://www.gush-shalom.org/

[We decided not to wait with sending you the moving words of ISM activist Joe Smith who was with Tom Hurndall
when it happened yesterday, and had been with Rachel Corrie a few weeks ago. His report is followed by an email
from Huwaida Arraf with concrete suggestions what you can do, wherever you are. We should not allow the shooting
of manifestly non-violent human shield activists also to become routine. Our not stopping to talk about them, not
stopping to ask questions, demand an independent investigation, and a clarification about shooting regulations is
part of the struggle against the occupation for which extraordinary youngsters take the ultimate risk.
This is the place to add what we forgot to mention earlier: Physicians for Human Rights-Israel and  Palestinian
Center for Human Rights-Gaza  are jointly petitioning the Supreme Court today, Sunday April 13, at 11:30 am about
the use of the flachette weapon.]

"Not again":
Eyewitness Joe Smith writes about the killing of Tom Hurndall
The Electronic Intifada, 12 April 2003

Please not again. We heard the shooting -- we always hear shooting -- but repeated sniper fire like that is especially
disturbing. I heard the shot, I heard a scream, and turned to see the fluorescent orange lump lying on the ground,
blood coming from his head. I moved back and forth a bit not knowing what to do, and within seconds my medical
training clicked in. The Palestinians lifted him to move him from the area. "Set him down!"
Alice, the other medic, and I screamed.

Finally we got him down on the pavement, I had my safety pads out and was trying to stop the bleedi
ng. One
doesn't consider rubber gloves at times like these. Blood was poring out of the back of his head. I
 couldn't get
it to stop. Seconds later he was lifted again and pulled into a taxi. "Wait for the ambulance!" We
tried to
convince them, but they were hysterical, and he was torn away from us and rushed to the hospital in
 a brown
Mercedes. The ambulance arrived on the scene minutes later, but it was too late, he was gone.

I looked down to find the bloody safety pad still in my hand. I had a brief instinct to throw it do
wn, like one
does any trash on these streets, but was unable to let go of it. I held onto it while in the taxi o
n the way to the
hospital, and still clutched it as I slouched on the ground against the stone walls surrounding his
 operation room.

He was dead for me from the moment he was set on the ground for us to administer treatment. Alice t
ried to do
mouth to mouth, and I thought it pointless. He was dead for me when he was pulled from our hands an
d put
into the car. Even when he was wheeled out of Al-Najjar Hospital and taken to Europa Hospital in Kh
an
Younis, he was still not alive in my mind.

Now he's on life support in Saroka Hospital in B'ersheva, brain dead but still breathing. No matter
 how
constantly his heart still beats, I continue to speak of him in the past. It took me awhile to acce
pt that Rachel
was actually gone, and I think my mind is compensating for that loss by preparing itself for anothe
r in advance.

His name was Thomas Hurndall and he was from London. When he arrived, we already had an English guy

named Tom so he chose the nickname "Tab", and that is how I knew him. Tab was incredibly passionate
 about
protecting people when and where they needed it most. We were in Yibna, a Rafah refugee camp right
on the
Egyptian border, because he was aware of the constant Israeli gunfire to which this neighbourhood i
s victim
every day.

He'd learned about the two brothers who'd been shot the previous morning, and was dedicated to main
taining a
presence there. He said that he'd gotten extremely angry and determined after listening to gunfire
while lying in
his bed at the doctor's house Rachel died protecting. He wanted to be in the most dangerous areas,
not out of
some martyr complex to die but simply because he knew that that is where internationals are most ne
eded.

He was prepared to stay in the house most targeted, and helped us hang large banners on it. He was
all about
placing a tent in an area in front of a mosque, used every night by an Israeli tank for terrorizing
 the
neighborhood with gunfire. We were on our way to pitch the tent the day he was shot, but had abando
ned the
project due to the Palestinians' discomfort with the level of gunfire.

The tank was already in its parking spot when we arrived, and was shooting into the area. A nearby
security
tower had also joined in, and was firing the scary sniper shots. We were positioned behind a large
roadblock
deciding what to do, and Laura had gone forward with some Palestinians to take a look. She was wear
ing our
trademarked florescent orange jacket with reflective stripes, and was clearly an international.

Despite, or possibly because of this they shot around her. She said that shots were being fired on
both sides of
her, making it rather difficult for her to move. She had just rejoined us, when the sniper fire fro
m the tower
turned onto the roadblock behind which we were standing. There were children playing on the roadblo
ck, as
they often do, and many scattered due to the gunfire.

There was one boy, however, that Tab noticed was too frightened to move. Instinctually, he quickly
removed
him from the area, as he observed shots land around the small and fragile innocent. After successfu
lly
evacuating him, he was about to leave when he noticed two small girls down in front of the roadbloc
k, right in
the line of fire.

He was going to help them escape when the Israeli soldier in the tower took his aim, and fired a la
rge calibre
sniper bullet directly into Tab's head. He was in full view of the tower, and like Laura was wearin
g the high
visibility gear. Our embassies had been informed of our presence in the area, and they had informed
 the Israeli
military.

They knew who he was, they knew what he was, and they knew what he was doing. They knew that he was

no threat to their physical safety, but they likely understood the international attention his pres
ence was
attracting, and knew how our human shield work had prevented them from adequately terrorizing the
Palestinian civilians and demolishing their homes.

In this way, he was a "threat" to them, a threat to the image of Israel it portrays to the world. H
e was a threat to
the validity of the occupation, and a threat to their unquestioned notion of these people as nothin
g but inhuman
terrorists. The sniper couldn't tolerate this kind of challenge, and took lethal measures to end it
. We'll only have
to see how such an act will backfire.

I didn't know Tab all that well. He'd only been here a week, but planned to stay the full month of
his visa. He'd
just spent a week doing refugee work in Jordan, before which he'd spent two weeks in Iraq doing hum
an shield
and relief work. He was a brilliant photographer, and was passionate about documenting the immense
human
rights violations being perpetrated on the Arab people.

It was his first trip to the Middle East, but his previous three weeks had made him rather well-ver
sed in this
type of work. He was mature and laid back about it all, but incredibly passionate and determined. I
 was quite
surprised to learn that he was only 21 years old, born the same year as I.

I had spent a few hours that day taking him around Rafah to take pictures. We were trying to compil
e photo
images of the city and our presence here for documentation and publicity purposes. The children her
e love a
camera, and would crowd us endlessly. This bothers and overwhelms most people, but Tab thought it a
 little
funny, and would chuckle at the rambunctious children shouting "What's you're name" and "How are yo
u". He
mentioned that he'd learned some tricks already, like not pulling out his camera until the absolute
 last minute.

We had even had a conversation that day about the dangers of this place, and how none of us really
understood them or we wouldn't be here. I said that I still felt confident with my international st
atus even after
the recent violence against us. I believed that it was not a calculated targeting of internationals
, just an increased
amount of recklessness and hostility brought on by the increased effectiveness of our work. I said
I wouldn't
really be intimidated until they openly target an obvious international. Not until they very intent
ionally kill one of
us would I feel the terror experienced by Palestinians. Fate works in mysterious ways.

I don't know if I can stay here now. I believe that internationals need to stay here, and that the
Israeli military
should not learn that they can intimidate ISM with such violence. I believe that it only shows how
effective our
work has become, and that now is the time to stay and establish an even stronger presence.

But I only have so much energy left. Rachel's death took a lot out of me, but also inspired me to s
tay longer and
throw myself into the Olympia Sister City project and nonviolent direct action against the Israeli
occupation of
Rafah. I had planned to stay through the end of May to accomplish these goals, and knew that I had
at least
that left in me. But this incident has aged me quickly, and makes me question if I can now handle t
his place and
this type of work.

Who knows what's going to happen to him now. It seems likely that his family will have to make that
 dreaded
decision about whether or not to take him off life support. I have to leave here if he dies, I can'
t do the whole
shahid thing again. I also cannot participate in another military investigation. There were plenty
of Palestinian
and international witnesses willing to cooperate.

I'll continue media and legal work regarding Rachel's death, but I can't handle two. I just can't.
Learning my
limits has been a crucial part of my personal development here. I have learned to say "no", and I'm
 saying it
now. This statement may be used for any media or legal processes, but that's it, khallas!

What a privilege it is for me to be able to say that. How lucky I am that I can just leave when I'v
e had enough,
and catalogue the event in my mental register of intense experiences. I can only leave on the condi
tion that I
return with a longer-term commitment, as my solidarity with these amazing people has only just begu
n.

[Joe Smith is an American activist from Kansas City, Missouri, based with the International Solidar
ity
Movement in Rafah, occupied Gaza. He was a friend of Rachel Corrie's and was with her when she was
crushed by an Israeli bulldozer on 16 March 2003.]

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1360.shtml