[GushShalom] Founding Conference of the Israeli-Palestinian Action Group for Peace

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Sun Jun 29 03:07:38 IDT 2003

GUSH SHALOM  pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 www.gush-shalom.org

Press release
June 28, 2003

=    ==    =   ==   =    ==    =   ==   =    ==    =    ==    =   ==   =   ==
Founding Conference of the Israeli-Palestinian Action Group for Peace
This morning in Ramallah, a hundred Israeli peace activists elude
military roadblocks in order to meet like-minded Palestinians.
==    =   ==   =    ==    =   ==   =    ==    =    ==    =   ==   =   ==   =

"We welcome the increasing move towards Hudna (cease-fire) and the
chance to break the cycle of violence, bloodshed and killing of innocent
Israelis and Palestinians - but a cease-fire can be no more than one
step in the right direction. A stable and lasting peace cannot be
achieved without putting a complete end to the occuaption which is the
root cause of the hatred and bloodshed. Leaders, politicians and
diplomats cannot be relied on to do the job alone. There is needed a
daily struggle for peace, a grassroots struggle, a joint struggle of
commited citizens from both sides, acting together."

The above sums up he mood among two hundred Israeli and
Palestinian peace activists, public figures and intellectuals who
gathered this morning in Ramallah on the West Bank to attend the
founding conference of the "Joint Action Group for Israeli-Palestinian
Peace."

In order to get there, the Israeli participants had to find their way
through the army roadblocks at the entrances to Ramallah. After
several dozen Israelis mingled among Palestinian pedestrians at
Kalandia Checkpoint on the south side of the city, soldiers blocked the
entrance. The remaining activists, however, traveled by backroads and
eventually made it to the conference hall. A few hours later, when they
were exiting the city, soldiers at Kalandia wrote down meticulously
names and ID numbers, threatening the Israelis on their way home with
prosecution for having broken a military order - the three-year old order
forbidding Israelis from entering the Palestinian cities ("Area A").

"Our most important declaration is the fact that we are here, peace-
seeking Israelis who came to meet peace-seeking Palestinians and
establish together a joint organization. The government wants to
prevent Israelis who want peace from going into Ramallah; this is a
privilege only of soldiers and settlers. But we are here to say to you,
our Palestinian friends, that we are not enemies; that the joint enemy
of all of us is the occupation, and the joint purpose - peace between
the state of Israel and the state of Palestine", said Dr Lev Grinberg of
Ben-Gurion University.

"I am happy to receive and host here so many peace-seekers", said
Hanan Ashrawi, one of the main Palestinian organizers. "The approach
common to all of us here, to Israelis and Palestinians alike, is based
on the concept of security - not military security, but human security,
creating mutual trust and recognizing the humanness of the other.
Even the most difficult problems outstanding between the two peoples,
such as settlements, refugees and Jerusalem, must be squarely faced
and equitably solved, rather than swept under the rug."

Uri Avnery, who had a central role in bringing about the conference,
mapped out a plan of action for the new body:
- setting up a committee of experts to prepare within three months a
detailed draft peace agreement, dealing with all the difficult issues;
- a "Truth and Reconcilation Commission" on the model of the South-
African body chaired by Bishop Desmond Tutu, with the ail of looking
at the history of the past century and trying to formulate a version
which both peoples can recognize;
- a joint media bureau, which would actively engage the Israeli,
Palestinian and international media;
- an operations committee, charged with preparing demonstrations,
campaigns and struggles, for example against the Separation Wall
which is systemativally depriving Palestinian of their lands, or against
the roadblocks which severely disrupt daily life.

"We want to confront the feeling of despair among both peoples, both
of whom lost the belief that there can be a different future. We want to
tell both peoples that they have a partner for peace, that there is
somebody to talk to", said Yehudith Har'el, a driving force behind the
initiative. "From here, from Ramallah, we want to give a message to
both our peoples. There is an alternative to the policy of occupation
and bloodshed. An alternative based on recognizing each other's
rights; of ending the occupation through evacuation of settlers and
withdrawal of the army behind the '67 border. The refugee problem
must come to a solution by agreement between the two sides,
cooperation with the international community and basing itself on the
relevant UN resolutions."

The principles enumerated by Har'el, are in fact those set out in the
new organization's manifesto. Naim el-Ashab who took part with her in
drafting the text - already signed and published by more than a
thousand people - remarked that this document is the result of dozens
of preparatory meetings of Palestinians and Israelis over the past two
years, starting from a small nucleus and gradually extending to more
people on both sides. "This body must monitor the actual
implementation of the roadmap, see to it that it does get to its official
stated purpose - end of the occupation and creation of a viable
Palestinian state which is the only way to achieve peace.
The roadmap, originally created as a joint document of four
international actors is more and more usurped by a single one of the
four, one which has been showing itself as biased all too often. This
poses the danger of the whole thing being derailed." He concluded by
calling for the stationing of international forces, to ensure
disengagement between two sides who have shed so much of each
other's blood in the past thousand days.

Former Knesset Member Tamar Gozanski had been delayed at the
army road-blocks and arrived an hour late. "Sharon and Bush are trying
to sell old merchandise in a new packing. They both know that the
great majority even of Israelis is weary of war, occupation and
bloodshed. Both of them know that it is impossible even to
contemplate a solution without talking of "creating a Palestinian state."
But their using this concept is emptying it of the original content.
Sharon means to create Bantustans and call them a state. We have to
start using new language, and take care to be very precise about what
we mean and not give up for example on the '67 borders."

Dr Gabi Baramki, former President of Bir-Zeit University, spoke of the
two army roadblocks created at the Surda area, between Ramallah and
the town of Bir-Zeit, which force students and lecturers to trek daily
some two kilometers by foot, there and back. "This is a sadistic
measure, which serves no Israeli security need whatsoever, the only
purpose is to make our life difficult, to make it more difficult to maintain
the normal academic life of our university." Bir-Zeit students also took
up the same point: Israeli activists, some of them students or lecturers
themselves, expressed interest in the suggested joint protest at the
Surda roadblocks. Some Israeli and Palestinian students already
exchanged phone numbers and email addresses on the spot.

Participants called for solidarity with the Palestinian prsoners held by
Israel and who have started a hunger strike. Specific mention was
made of Marwan Barghouti. "If he would be able, he would be here with
us." said Hanan Ashrawi. Also mentioned was the other imprisoned
Palestinian legislator, Husam Khader.

The Israeli refusniks - with their dramatic court martial sessions in the
past week - got an applause. "They have been put on trial for their
refusal to serve the occuaption, but now they put the occupation itself
on trial" exclaimed a very proud grandfather, and himself a veteran
peace activist, Reuven Kaminer.

The supreme sacrifice of Rachel Corrie was commemorated. (It was in
the past days that the army's legal branch officially declared that the
Corrie file is closed, with nobody prosecuted.)

A delegation of conference participants met shortly with  President
Arafat, who was reported to welcome the joint initiative.

For background:

Uri Avnery +972-(0)50-306440
Hanan Ashrawi - +972-(0)2-585 1842
Yehudit Har'el +972-(0)56-263145
Lev Grinberg - +972-(0)52-227432

For video footage:

Natasha Dudinsky - 972-(0)53-475496
Kathy Vasana - 972-(0)67-371606
B.H. Yael - 972-(0)51-939976

--
A map of the separation wall:

http://www.gush-shalom.org/thewall/hebrew.html
http://www.gush-shalom.org/thewall/index.html (English)

--
Our site:
http://www.gush-shalom.org/ (òáøéú)

with
\\photo's - of action or otherwise informative
\\the weekly Gush Shalom ad - in Hebrew and English
\\the columns of Uri Avnery - in Hebrew, Arab and English
\\and an archive full of interesting documents

N.B.:
On the Gush Shalom website links for:
Articles and documents in German
Articles and documents in French
Articles and documents in Spanish

In order to receive our Hebrew-language
press releases [mostly WORD documents -
not always same as English] mail to:
gush-shalom-heb-request at mailman.gush-shalom.org
+ NB: write the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

To get more of the forwarded reports and announcements
which we receive from other organizations + a selection of
English-language articles, send one blank mail to:
TOI_Billboard-subscribe at topica.com

If you want to support Gush Shalom's activities you can
send a cheque or cash, wrapped well in an extra piece
of paper to:

Gush Shalom
pob 3322
Tel-Aviv 61033
Israel

or ask us for charities in your country which receive
donations on behalf of Gush Shalom

Please, add your email address where to send our
confirmation of receipt. More official receipts at
request only.