[GushShalom] "Barghouti To Talks Table, Not To Jail!"

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Tue Jul 15 00:07:02 IDT 2003

/////////////////
     Gush Shalom
     ////////////////////

International release
July 14, 2003

"BARGHOUTI TO TALKS TABLE, NOT TO JAIL."

It was rather an unusual scene this morning in the Tel-Aviv District
Court, where the Barghouti trial was about to start.. We weren't allowed
into the hall where the trial would take place, we, that is: some  twenty
Gush Shalom activists of all ages and a more or less similar number of
cameras & journalists (not less frustrated!). We all were led to another
hall, on another flour where we would be able to follow the proceedings
on a video screen.

Soon, we decided to take from our pockets and unfold the papers,
prepared for the moment that Barghouti would be led in, with on each
the same slogan, printed and enlarged. The cameras  happily turned
away from the video screen focusing on our papers: "BARGHOUTI TO
TALKS TABLE, NOT TO JAIL."

And, the journalists were also eager to follow us when we were violently removed and
"escorted" by guards all the way down (five stairs), while chanting "Release Barghouti, Release
the  Prisoners!"  Uri Avnery, who was among the "rioters" told journalists: "Release of prisoners
would create such an enormous good-will. And Barghouti who helped the cease-fire come about
- he could do so much more if he were out."

The guards had torn our signs but we had spare ones. What was not so good:  activist (and new
historian) Teddy Katz got wounded in the turmoil and had to be taken care of at the nearby
Ichilov hospital.

Meanwhile our little action was broadcast on the radio, and reported on the media internet
versions. And via a phonecall to one of the Barghouti lawyers, Adv. Shammai Leibowitz, we
ourselves took care that the message got there. Some Gush Shalom activists went immediately
from the District Court to the Military Court in Jaffa, where five anti-occupation draft refusers
were heard in their ongoing court martial.

The Barghouti trial itself took today a remarkable course, with the judges confirming Barghouti's
criticism of the Attorney General (or, more correct, "Chief Legal Adviser of the government")
Elyakim Rubinstein. Rubinstein had labelled Barghouti an "arch-terrorist" even before the end of
the trial - thereby predestining the trial and making it into a farce.

About what went on in today's trial, read the following detailed Ha'aretz  report. (The last
paragraph mentions our protest.)

[Photos of the action will be on www.gush-shalom.org as soon as the website is repaired. Right
now there is no access at all.]

*Judges blast AG for condemning Barghouti before trial's end*

By Assaf Bergerfreund,
Haaretz Correspondent and Haaretz Service

West Bank Fatah Movement secretary general and leader of the Tanzim Marwan Barghouti
refused to testify Monday in his trial in the Tel Aviv District Court, charging that the outcome of

the court case was predetermined.

The District Court in Tel Aviv was hearing defense arguments Monday in the trial of Barghouti,
who is charged with a series of murders and responsibility for other acts of terror.

Barghouti, who was scheduled to testify Monday, decided not to  do so, saying that the trial is
"staged" and its outcome predetermined. Barghouti claims there is no point in testifying since
there is no chance he will receive a fair trial in Israel.

Backing up his assertion, Barghouti quoted Attorney General Elyakim Rubinstein, who referred
to him two weeks ago as an "architect of mass-murdering terrorism." He said that Rubinstein's
comments constitute a "blatant" interference in the legal proceedings against him.

The District Court judges were also critical of Rubinstein's comments with Judge Sara Sorota,
who presided over the panel of three, saying the comments constituted sub judice as
Barghouti has not yet convicted of involvement in terrorism.

A statement from Rubinstein's office said that the attorney general's comments were not
intended to influence the outcome of the trial, but rather reflected the general position of
the prosecution as appears in the official charge sheet against Barghouti. In addition,
the statement says that Rubinstein's comments were made to the prime minister in arguments he
presented against Barghouti's release - in line with his job.

Rubinstein made the comments following reports that Israel was considering releasing Barghouti
along with other Palestinian prisoners under the U.S.-backed road map for Mideast peace.

Barghouti is charged with leading and conducting suicide attacks on Israeli targets and is
accused of murder and attempted murder.
Barghouti, arrested by Israeli commandos in Ramallah in April last year, however has said
he played a part in "legitimate resistance".

Barghouti claims that an Israeli court does not have any jurisdiction over him nor the right to
try him and that he never had a chance at a fair trial. He quipped that "a political
decision to convict me has been made and my chances of getting off are like [Shinui leader
Yosef] Tommy Lapid's chances of becoming leader of Shas"

Barghouti declared that "The Israeli occupiers are not prepared to give me a just trial. We
[the Palestinians] will not give up until we have independence. We will not fear
assassinations, closures." He added that the Israeli government never responds to any
Palestinian initiatives to advance the talks process and does not allow tensions between the
sides to calm down.

Barghouti, who was an instrumental force in getting the Palestinian militant groups to
agree to the hudna, or temporary truce, has also filed a petition against the conditions in
which he has been held for the last 10 months.
He claims that "they are trying to kill me. I do not get medical equipment," going on to
describe the harsh conditions in which he is being held. He also says that he is being held
in solitary confinement and members of his family are not allowed to visit him.

The court however rejected his petition and remanded him in custody for a further six
months in solitary confinement, saying that there has been no change in the circumstances
which led the court to remand him in solitary confinement six months ago.

Since Barghouti is refusing to testify at his own trial, the defense has rested, as has the
prosecution. The court thus adjourned Monday until August 24 when the prosecution is set to
present its closing arguments.

Before Monday's court session, Gush Shalom peace activists demonstrated at the court, calling
for Barghouti's release. Demonstrators held up signs saying "Barghouti to talks table, not to
jail." The protesters had to be forcibly removed from the court before the hearing could
begin.

--
A map of the separation wall:

http://www.gush-shalom.org/thewall/hebrew.html (òáøéú)
http://www.gush-shalom.org/thewall/index.html (English)

--
Our site:
http://www.gush-shalom.org/ (òáøéú)

with
\\photos - of actions or otherwise informative
\\the weekly Gush Shalom ad - in Hebrew and English
\\the columns of Uri Avnery - in Hebrew, Arab and English
\\and an archive full of interesting documents

N.B.:
On the Gush Shalom website links for:
Articles and documents in German, French and Spanish

In order to receive our Hebrew-language
press releases [mostly WORD documents -
not always same as English] mail to:
gush-shalom-heb-request at mailman.gush-shalom.org
+ NB: write the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

To get more of the forwarded reports and announcements
which we receive from other organizations + a selection of
English-language articles, send one blank mail to:
TOI_Billboard-subscribe at topica.com

If you want to support Gush Shalom's activities you can
send a cheque or cash, wrapped well in an extra piece
of paper to:

Gush Shalom
pob 3322
Tel-Aviv 61033
Israel

or ask us for charities in your country which receive
donations on behalf of Gush Shalom

Please, add your email address where to send our
confirmation of receipt. More official receipts at
request only.