[GushShalom] Cycle of bloodshed resumes - press release

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Thu Aug 21 01:34:48 IDT 2003

GUSH SHALOM  pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 www.gush-shalom.org

Press Release, August 20, 2003

[The following is the translation of a press release, sent today by Gush
Shalom to the Israeli media].

Cycle of bloodshed resumes

The horrifying suicide bombing in Jerusalem, in which dozens of
innocent civians were killed and wounded, deserves to be condemned
in the sharpest terms. We offer our condolences to all the bereaved
families. But it is imposible to avoid also considering how did this
come to happen.

The renewed cyce of bloodshed has begun with the decision of the
political and military echelons to implement - in the middle of the
Hudna (cease-fire) - a series of "targeted liquidations", knowing full well
that that act would lead to retaliation bombings and to the breaking of
the Hudna.
The perpetrators of the bombings came from Nablus and Hebron, two
cities under full control of the Israeli army, and their deed of blood was
committed in West Jerusalem, where the Israeli police is in charge. In
none of these places does the Palestinian Authority exercise any
measure of real control, and its police has no ability to operate there.
The real immediate solution is to remove the IDF from the Palestinian
territories and hand over full control to the Palestinian Authority - as
was laid out in the Road Map.

For more details:
Gush Shalom Spokesperson Adam Keller: 03-5565804 / 056-709603