"If the soldiers come, they will find us barring their way"

otherisr at actcom.co.il otherisr at actcom.co.il
Sun Sep 14 05:02:45 IDT 2003

GUSH SHALOM  pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 www.gush-shalom.org

Press Release 13/9/2003

=   == =   =  == = =   == =   =  == = =   == =   =  == = =
"If the soldiers come, they will find us barring their way"
=   == =   =  == = =   == =   =  == = =   == =   =  == = =

"I am willing to put myself at risk and serve as a human shield, in order
to foil Prime Minster Sharon's intention to murder the leader of the
palestinian People. So are many of my my fellows in the israeli peace
movement" declared the veteran peace activist Uri Avenry of Gush
Shalom (the Israeli Peace Bloc) upon his arrival at the Presidential
Compound in Ramallah. "Sharon does not intend to "deport" Yasser
Arafat. That word is a mere euphemism for murdering Arafat in cold
blood. The murder of Arafat, by soldiers under the authority of the
government of Israel, would be a terrible disaster for our country. It may
precipitate an outbreak of hatered and bloodshed dwarfing everything
we have seen in the past three years. Such a murder would also put an
end to any chance of peace and reconciliation between the two
peoples for many years, possibly for generations. To a person l;ike me,
who deeply cares about Israel's future, there is nothing more important
to do at this moment than do everything - and I do mean everything - in
my power to prevent such a calamity. PM Sharon , Defence Minster
Mofaz and their generals should know that if they send their soldiers in
here, there will be Israeli peace activists here to bar their way" said
Avnery, who mentoned that already last year, a group of Gush Shalom
activists had spent the night at this compund, tduring a previous round
of threats by Sharon against Arafat.

AQvnery shraply condemend the so-called "experts" who on the Israeli
media assert that "Arafat removal will pave the way for the emegence
of moderate forces". "Either these genetelmen are bare-faced liers, or
they have not the slightest knowlege on the subject they comment
about, no realisation of the obvious fact that the murder of Arafat would
wipe out for a considerable time any sign of moderation in the
Palestinian society."

Avnery arrived at the Presidential Compound this afternon, among a
group of some thirty peace activists which also included Knesset
Members Issam Mahoul and Ahamad Tibi, senior Meretz activist Latif
Dori and the historian Teddy Katz. Together with them arrived a large
group of Palrestinain public figures, partners of the Israelis in the Joint
Israeli-Palestinian Action Group for Peace. When ath activist arrived,
the compound was full of thousands of Palestinian demostrators,
carrying photos of Arafat and flags of the various factions and
organizations inthe Palestinian society, now united in strong opposition
to Sharon's threat against Arafat. The presdential bodyguards made
room for the peace delegation among the crowd. In the corriodtr inside
the Israelis met with Arafat, who welcomed them warmly and invited
Avnery and the two KM's to appear with his on the window. Thei
appearanvce was greted by prolonged applause and cheers. Avnery
handed to Arafat the Gush Shalom symbol, consisting of the linked
flags of Israel and Palestine - which the Palestinian president
immediately pinned on to his lapel.

Arafat invited the peace activists to dinner, which was joined also by te
new palestinian PM Abu Ala. During the dinner arafat spoke of the
Olso agreements, signed ten years ago to the day, and said "Iwas
then, and I remain now, committed to the hope of a secure future, a
future when the children of both our peoples couold grow up without
fear". Abu Ala called for an immediate cease-fire, putting a complete
end to both suicide bombings by Palestinians and "liquidations" by the
Israeli armed forces.

Avnery advised the Palestinian PM to include in the presentation of his
new cabinet, once it is formed, a direct appeal to the peaople of Israel.
"Very many in Israel already understand the simple truth:
assasinations and liuidations directly precipitate suicide bombings;
whoever sends a helicopter guiunship to assasinate a Palestinian
leader is threby also causing the death of the Israeli civilians in the
subsequent suicide bombing. Sharon and many of his ministers and
gneral do not want a cease-fire, but rather a total war. But among the
citiznes of Israekl, who have had enough and more than enough of
living in fear, such a direct appeal for a cease-fire could find an echo".

Further info: Uri Avnery +972-50-306440

HUMAN SHIELD -  HUMAN SHIELD -  HUMAN SHIELD -  HUMAN
SHIELD -  HUMAN SHIELD -  HUMAN SHIELD -  HUMAN SHIELD -

Those able and willing to be part of a volunteer group, which might be
called up at short notice to come to the Ramallah Presidential
Compound to face toghether with the Palestinians a possilbe invasion
by the army, please write to gushalom at actcom.net.il and/or leave a
message with your name and phone number on the answering
machine at the Tel-Aviv Gush Shalom office, 03-5221732. Thank you!

HUMAN SHIELD -  HUMAN SHIELD -  HUMAN SHIELD -  HUMAN
SHIELD -  HUMAN SHIELD -  HUMAN SHIELD -  HUMAN SHIELD -

mail to

gush-shalom-intl-request at mailman.gush-shalom.org

and write "subscribe" in the subject line.