[GushShalom] "My affidavit to The Hague" Yossi Sarid in Ha'aretz

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Wed Jan 21 22:02:06 IST 2004

GUSH SHALOM  pob 3322, Tel-Aviv  61033 âåù ùìåí, ú.ã.,3322 úì àáéá

[] Affidavit to The Hague
[] Update
   One corrected & three new items
   N.B.: TIME CHANGE Trees Planting
   B'tselem's eye opener video clip
   Geneva demo postponed
   Aviv Lavie looking for harassment stories

                                \\// //\\ \\// //\\ \\//

[] Affidavit to The Hague

òáøéú áàúø
http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/pages/ShArtPE.jhtml?itemNo=385245&cont
rassID=2&subContrassID=3&sbSubContrassID=0

[We have held quite some disputes with Meretz members about our
rejection, not only of the route of the wall, but of the idea of a separation
wall altogether. In the following article Yossi Sarid, after years no longer
the Meretz leader, expresses  somehow regret that he has been among
those who favoured the building of a fence, though not the existing one.
But the reason to forward it is above all: his speaking via the Haaretz
pages to the International Court in The Hague.]

My affidavit to The Hague

By Yossi Sarid

Ha'aretz, Wed., January 21, 2004

Lately, I've been wondering what I would do if the International Court in
The Hague, on its own initiative, asked for my opinion on the separation
fence. I find these thoughts oppressive. On the one hand, every human
being with a conscience has to do everything he can to topple this bad
fence. On the other hand, even those who, like me, feel the Sharon
government is an Israeli tragedy, are usually also infected with the
patriotic germ, which dissuades them from collaborating with outside
parties in the struggle against the evils committed by the government of
Israel.

The International Court does not have any authority to subpoena me
against my will, of course. Nor is its moral jurisdiction on especially
solid footing. However, our silence would not be considered moral, either
- not in our own eyes, and not in those of others. What should I do?

When the idea of the fence was first raised, I hesitated about taking a
stand, in either direction. For a while, I "fence straddled." The idea in
itself is correct and effective, and no one is entitled to deny the
citizens of Israel protection from terrorists. But I took into account the
gloomy fact that it was not me who was going to build the fence and
determine its route, but Ariel Sharon. And as I know him, his character
and his plans, I presumed that this essential fence would come out
crooked. If Sharon is able to take something straight and twist it out of
shape, he will unquestionably do so. At the time, I even warned Haim
Ramon
and the other fence advocates that, when it was built, they would have a
hard time recognizing their original intent, and that we would come to
regret our support for it, just as many people have come to regret their
support for various Sharon initiatives over the years, having always come
out on the short end of the stick.

While engaged in my fence straddling, I was confronted by many fine
people: if, as has already been proven, the fence prevents terrorist
attacks and saves lives, how do you allow yourself to oppose it; and they
were right , I had no ready response. And what would I say in the face of
all the murdered victims of terrorism - that I am by nature suspicious,
that Sharon doesn't deserve any trust, that this fence may begin with
protection but e nds with a brutal attack on Palestinians who have
committed no sin, that the roots of the fence may be "separation" but that
it ends in annexation? The terrorist attacks grew more frequent, the
pressure grew more intense,
 and then I drafted the Meretz platform, exactly one year ago, writing the
 following:

"During the interim period and until the situation calms down, Meretz
supports the accelerated construction of a complete, encompassing and
sophisticated separation fence. This fence would be a protective measure
against acts of terror. It is preferable for Israel that the route of the
fence not include Palestinian population or territories. In addition,
Meretz demands that during this period of time, the settlements on the
other side of the fence and all of the illegal outposts be dismantled
immediately. In the Gaza Strip, all of the settlements would be evacuated,
as well as the Jewish settlement in Hebron, which is a recurring,
dangerous focus of sever e lawlessness."

In an accompanying article, I wrote, in the interests of greater
clarification, that the fence should follow along the 1967 lines. I admit
that even in my worst nightmares, I never imagined that Ariel Sharon
would go so f ar as he has in his fencing efforts. Sharon is larger than our
nightmares: not the `67 lines, not even anything that resembles `67, but
an invasive eruption by a brute without inhibition or tether, one suited
to serve as prime minister of South Africa in the blackest days of the
apartheid that conceived the reprehensible Bantustans.

Now a Palestinian awakens in the morning, every morning, and sees the
monstrous wall that separates him from members of his family, from his
fields and orchards, from his business dealings; separates his children
from the ir school, sees his destitute piece of land robbed from him, his
world closed up, dark and devastated, and he certainly blames us, as well,
who were a party to the despicable undertaking of building the fence. How
can you  explain to him that this is not the fence we intended, that we
intended a  completely different fence, and that our good intentions led to
his hell.
 An apology is in order. It is stated in the Talmudic tractate of Gittin:
 "It was not the thief who stole, it was the hole that stole," and we will
 say, it is not the fence that is stealing the land and the basic human
 rights, but its route.

Without a doubt, on the basis of the concepts that I know and accept,
Sharon's fence is a crime against humanity. There is no other way to
define it. I will not make my way to the International Court in The Hague,
due to the "disease of patriotism" from which we are unable to cure
ourselves. But this is the written affidavit of a member of the Knesset's
Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, a former minister of education in
the State of Israel, a Zionist without "post." My testimony is translated
in this newspaper into English (an unpatriotic act), and if it is brought
before the judges, I would not change it one iota. Maybe I will first
bring it before the justices of our High Court of Justice. To this I sign
my name.

The writer is an MK and the former chairman of Meretz.

http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/pages/ShArtPE.jhtml?itemNo=385245&cont
rassID=2&subContrassID=3&sbSubContrassID=0

[] Update
   One corrected & three new items
   N.B.: TIME CHANGE Trees Planting
   B'tselem's eye opener video clip
   Geneva demo postponed
   Aviv Lavie looking for harassment stories

#
N.B.: TIME CHANGE Trees Planting - Tomorrow -  Thursday