[GushShalom] Dialogue in Russian // freedom x 5

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Wed Sep 22 02:23:49 IST 2004

GUSH SHALOM - pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033  www.gush-shalom.org/

[1] Truth Against Truth as insert in Russian papers
    Gush Shalom seeks dialogue with "Russian" Community

[2] Welcoming the Five COs upon their release

				~~~

[1] Truth Against Truth as insert in Russian papers
    Gush Shalom seeks dialogue with "Russian" Community

òáøéú áàúø / Hebrew on the site
http://www.gush-shalom.org

In these days before Yom Kippur, time of soul-searching and good
intentions, Gush Shalom has gone out of its way to open a dialogue with
the "Russian" Community in Israel: spreading a Russian translation of
"Truth Against Truth" to some 60 000 households.

The campaign was started with a press conference, on Sunday (19.9) in Tel-
Aviv's Press Center. The representatives of all Russian media in Israel
were invited, and most of them took part.

"We dreamed about this for a long time, and at last we were able to start
this unique campaign" (the opening words were immediately translated into
Russian, the language of the conference - though in the course of the
developing discussion some of the Russian journalists started to speak
Hebrew). "There lies an abysmal chasm between the Peace Camp and the
Russian-speaking community" said Uri Avnery - Gush Shalom founding member
and writer of the brochure. "This is something which we cannot tolerate.
We do not accept the opinion prevalent in the Peace Camp that a million
Russian-speakers think alike and all of them are extreme rightists, Arab-
haters and Peace-Camp haters."

On the eve of Yom Kippur, 60 thousand copies of "Truth Against Truth" in
Russian are to be distributed as an insert in the Russian-language papers
"Vesti" and "Globus". Truth against Truth is not a usual declaration of
principles. In what could be called a post-post-modern effort, Uri Avnery
tries to intertwine the Israeli and Palestinian narratives about more
than hundred years of conflict - since peace is impossible without
narratives being opened up and developed to include also the other side's
way of seeing it. The consequent confrontation of the contrasting views
works as an eye-opener throwing a completely  new light on the Israeli-
Palestinian conflict, its origins and phases.

Until now, this new brochure had appeared only in Hebrew and English -
and has been translated abroad in German, Spanish and Dutch, with the
Arab edition to appear in the coming weeks.  The Russian version is an
exact copy of the Hebrew original. As the original, it bears on its cover
the warning: "Caution! This is a subversive text. It undermines the very
foundations on which the National Consensus is based!"

Gush Shalom, which is not blessed with abundant funds, decided to exhaust
its reserves* and invest the necessary resources for this campaign out of
conviction that it is impossible to attain peace if important parts of
the Russian-speaking community does not join the Peace Camp. "I believe
that the whole Peace Camp is guilty of ignoring this important community,
as we ignored the Oriental one," Avnery commented, pointing out that all
Russian-language media in Israel follow an extreme right-wing line,
isolating Russian-speakers from the Israeli mainstream.

"Israeli society is divided into five big sectors - the veteran
Ashkenazi, the Oriental, the religious, the immigrants from the former
Soviet Union and the Arab citizens. We cannot succeed in the struggle for
peace while being based only on two of them (the veteran Ashkenazi and
the Arab), without winning support within the three others."

Together with the distribution of tens of thousands brochures, the Gush
Shalom campaign will include publishing banners on Russian-language web-
sites, extensive public relations and ads in the Russian-language media.
A Russian-language sector on the Gush web-site is soon to follow.

See also:

Gush Shalom targets Russian speakers

By Lily Galili

Ha'aretz Mon., September 20, 2004

<http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArtVty.jhtml?sw=Gush+Shalom&itemNo=4
79152>

If you agree that we took an important initiative and want to support
Gush Shalom you can send a cheque or cash, wrapped well in an extra piece
of paper to:

Gush Shalom
pob 3322
Tel-Aviv 61033
Israel

or ask us for charities in your country which receive
donations on behalf of Gush Shalom

Please, add your email address where to send our
confirmation of receipt. More official receipts at
request only.

[2] Welcoming the Five COs upon their release

òáøéú àçøé àðâìéú

The five conscientious objectors were released from jail. With
theirrelease we will be holding -

                            Free Conscience

           An evening dedicated to the freedom of conscience
        Tel Aviv Museum Square, Thursday 23rd September, 19:30 -
                        23:00

Greetings - videotaped or written - from J. L. Godard, Bernardo
Bertolucci, Paul Auster, Mike Leigh, Noam Chomsky, Tony Kushner, Judith
Butler and others, including conscientious objectors from all over the
world.

Performers:

Sharon Ben Ezer (DJ)
Orna Banay
Yair Dalal
The Raging Granmas (songs of freedom and conscience)
Yitzhak Laor (from his recently published book of poems)
Amal Murcus
Purple 59
Black Velvet
Keren Mor and Menashe Noy
Tamer Nafer and DAM

Come one and all! Your support matters!

Hosted by:
Refuseniks' Parents Forum / Ta'ayush / Yesh Gvul /
Gush Shalom / Women Coalition for Peace and Justice / The Campus is Not
Silent / New Profile / Hadash / The Druze Initiative Committee /
Shministim

                  òí ùçøåøí îäëìà ùì çîùú ñøáðé äîöôåï
                              îöôåï çåôùé
                     òøá çã-ôòîé ìîòï çåôù äîöôåï
            øçáú îåæéàåï úì àáéá, éåí ä' 23/9 îï äùòä 19.30

áøëåú áåéãéàå åáëúá: æ'àï ìå÷ âåãàø, ðòí çåîñ÷é, îéé÷ ìé, ôåì àåñèø,
áøðøãå áøèåìåö'é, èåðé ÷åùðø, â'åãéú áàèìø,àîðéí åàðùé øåç ðåñôéí.

îùúúôéí:

ùøåï áï òæø (DJ)
àøðä áðàé
éàéø ãìàì
äñáúåúäæåòîåú (áùéøé îöôåï åçåôù)
éöç÷ ìàåø (îúåê ñôø ùéøéå äçãù "òéø      äìååéúï")
àîì  îåø÷åñ
ñâåì 59
÷èéôäùçåøä
÷øï  îåø åîðùä ðåé
úàîø ðàôø åìä÷ú DAM
áåàå áäîåðéëí!úîéëúëí çùåáä!

 äåøé  äñøáðéí /  úòàéåù / éù âáåì / âåù ôåøåí ùìåí / ÷åàìéöééú ðùéí ðâã
ëéáåù / ä÷îôåñ ìà ùåú÷  / ôøåôéì çãù / çã"ù / åòã äéæîä äãøåæé  /
äùîéðéñèéí

#  "Make Israeli-Palestinian peace talks a number one priority"
    the American Jews' "open letter to the next president" can be signed
    online  http://openletter.btvshalom.org

# Selected articles from THE OTHER ISRAEL September issue at:
  http://otherisrael.home.igc.org/

# Truth against Truth - opposite views on the history of the conflict
  in 101 steps

Hebrew / òáøéú
http://www.gush-shalom.org/Docs/Truth_Heb.pdf

English
http://www.gush-shalom.org/Docs/Truth_Eng.pdf

# Boycott List of Settlement Products (newly updated)
  Now also with list of settlements

Hebrew / òáøéú
http://gush-shalom.org/Boycott/boycheb.htm

English
http://gush-shalom.org/Boycott/boyceng.htm

--
http://www.gush-shalom.org/ (òáøéú/Hebrew)
http://www.gush-shalom.org/english/index.html (English)

with
\\photos of recent actions
\\the weekly Gush Shalom ad
\\the columns of Uri Avnery
\\Gush Shalom's history & action chronicle
\\position papers & analysis (in "documents")
\\and a lot more

N.B.:
On the Gush Shalom website links for
Articles and documents in German, French and Spanish

In order to receive Gush Shalom's Hebrew-language
press releases mail to:
gush-shalom-heb-request at mailman.gush-shalom.org
+ NB: write the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

Archive of email reports:
https://mailman.gush-shalom.org/pipermail/gush-
shalom/2004/thread.html#start

If you want to support Gush Shalom's activities you can