[GushShalom] Olive harvest - between a rock and a hard place

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Mon Oct 27 03:23:33 IST 2003

GUSH SHALOM  pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 www.gush-shalom.org

International release
Tel-Aviv, October 26.

[] "Between a rock and a hard place" by Adam Keller:
-- report and background of the joint olive harvest at Hirbat Jabara
-- with an epilogue: Sharon, go home (demo in Jerusalem).
[] Israeli roulette - Gush ad in Ha'aretz, October 24
[] Whom to believe? - Avnery answers General Amidror
[] "Two missiles were fired" / "The results were very good"

                                \\// //\\ \\// //\\ \\//

[] "Between a rock and a hard place" by Adam Keller:
-- report and background of the joint olive harvest at Hirbat Jabara
-- with an epilogue: Sharon, go home (demo in Jerusalem).

The landscape seemed highly picturesque: the olive trees dotting the
rolling hills, the strewn rocks, the placidly grazing donkey. Such a sharp
contrast with the congested superhighways and high-rise office towers of
metropolitan Tel-Aviv, a short drive away - a short drive, that
is, to those privileged to pass the various barriers and roadblocks. But
we had not come as tourists, and the apparently tranquil countryside
was the inside of a besieged enclave, around which a noose is being
drawn ever tighter.
It was to help these besieged people that a mobilizartion effort had
been mounted in the past week by the Olive Harvest Coalition.
Already before arriving at our destination on this Saturday, Oct. 25, we
had a good close look at The Fence -  a line drawn across the
landscape in the past year, cutting arbitrarily across the fields and the
lives of those who live hereabouts. For some time our cavalcade -
seven buses and some private cars - moved parallel to this implacable
barrier, then we moved back from it, along ever-worsening roads and
tracks.
Soon came the moment to alight and divide into groups of about
twenty, each guided by Palestinian farmers. Then quite a long way by
foot, partly along goat tracks full of thorns and brambles, under a
blazing sun which would have better fitted a day in mid-August rather
then late October. Finally we arrived,  panting. Mufid, our guide,
pointed to the trees to the left: "These are ours, my father planted
many of them". Then to the buildings on the next hill: "That is the
settlement of Sal'it. The army is always getting nervous when we try to
come here. With you, it should be more easy."
But now, even the settlement takes second place in his worries in
comparison to The Fence. "My village, Ras, is on the other side, and
most of our fields and olives were left on this side. We have to ask for
permits to cross the gate. I got a one-month permit. My wife, who did a
large part of the harvest last year and in all the years before, did not
get one. Why? The soldiers just told me "That's the way it is". Half of
our village got no permit."
We do our best to take the place of the villagers who were banned from
coming here. Olive picking is a companionable work. The group spread
around a tree and went through the branches one by one, hunting for
the little blue-black olives. "We should be like locusts, leaving not a
single olive unpicked. The harvest was not particularly good this year,
we must make the best of what there is there" admonishes Ehud, the
coordinator of our group. Uri Avnery, who had celebrated his eightieth
birthday a month ago, is climbing up the bole, in order to get at the
more difficult upper branches.
This kind of work leaves a lot of opportunity for talking. Around our tree,
the talk was mostly of politics - past and present, Israeli and
international, in a mixture of Hebrew, Arabic, English a bit of Spanish.
Aside from Israelis and Palestinians, our group included an American,
two Catalans from Barcelona and two Japanese. And halfway through,
the Israeli contingent is reinforced by the arrival of Yesh Gvul activists,
who came directly from the solidarity vigil for the imprisoned refusniks
held outside military prison 6.
Unlike political work, olive picking provides a bit of an immediate,
visible satisfaction - measured in the clump of already-harvested trees
left behind and on the row of full sacks stretching ahead, filled with
olives. "Each sack can be rendered into 17 litres of olive oil. One liter
can nowadays be sold for 12 Shekels. Before the intifada, you could
get up to 22 shekels, but now it is not possilbe to send olive oil to
Jordan and very difficult even to get it different parts of the West Bank.
We can only rely on the local market" explains Mufid.
Four o'clock. Again we  trudge through the rocky hills. Finally the track
becomes a street, then a small unpaved plaza where smiling villagers
offer cold water and mandarin oranges.

The speech given by town councillor and school principal Sadeq
Mas'ud - far from being just a show of politeness - is informing us about
the troubles of the hardest hit of the villages, Hirbat Jabara with its 350
inhabitants. "Our village where you now stand has become a big
prison. And our jailers, unlike in a normal prison, don't even bother
about how their prisoners will have what to eat. The Wall is cutting us
off from the rest of the West Bank. This village lives mainly from
poultry. How can we continue with that when bringing feed for the
chickens or transporting meat and eggs to the market has become
totally impossible? The fence is five kilometers to the east; three
kilometers to the west is the Green Line and if we take one step
across, then we are liable to be arrested by the Israeli police for
illegally entering Israel. And now, the army is demanding that we ask
for permits to be allowed to stay in our homes!"
Israeli speakers mount the improvised podium:  Uri Avnery representing
Gush Shalom: "The struggle now is not between Israelis and
Palestinians but between Israeli and Palestinian peace seekers on the
one side and the enemies among both peoples on the other side; the
army hopes to make your life so bitter that you will just go away by
yourself. We have come here to stand by your side and make sure this
will not happen." Fathia Oukbi (Coalition of Women for Peace), herself
an Arab woman from the Galilee, told of her family history: "I am from a
village of this size which has ceased to exist. My grandmother was
always telling us "better to be killed on your land than let yourself be
expelled; but we have come here to show that there is a third way; that
we can stand together and make sure that you can live on your land."
Peretz Kidron of Yesh Gvul told: "In the military prison there are now
ten courageous people, four reservists and six youngsters who refuse
to be conscripts. They are all in prison because they don't want to take
part in the occupation which does what it does to you." Yigal Bronner
(Ta'ayush) summarized what had brought so many Israelis to this
place: "General Kaplinsky of the Central Command issued a decree
under which a Palestinian who lives in this area between Green line
and Fence has no inherent right to be here, but has to ask permission,
as a special favour. On the other hand, Israelis need no permit to come
here, and the same for another class of persons - those 'who would be
eligible for Israeli citizenship under the Law of Return.'. In other words:
J e w s. A Jewish from New York making a 24-hour stopover has more
rights in Jabarra than the people who lived here all their lives, and their
ancestors before them. This is Apartheid."

[Together with Gush Shalom, Ta'ayush and the  Women for Peace,
also the Committee Against House Demolitions and the Rabbis for
Human Rights are part of the Olive Harvest Coalition. Photos on the
site: www.gush-shalom.org ]
                                       ***

Epilogue: Sharon go home!

When boarding the buses for the way back some Tel-Avivians joined
the Jerusalemites in order to be in time for the Peace Now
demonstration scheduled to start at seven.

It was a strange transition. A quick cup of coffee in a Jerusalem cafe
around the corner from the Prime Minister's Residence, and meanwhile
the place filled up. Loudspeakers announced: now we are to march - to
encircle Sharon's place. Activists took up torches and placards
(Sharon go home! / There is another way! / Sharon is destroying the
country /  Save the country - Get out of the Territories! / Geneva Now!.
There was chanting, too.

Back in the place of the beginning, the organizers estimated that there
were now around 4000 people, and indeed it was quite full, the crowd
spreading over into the side streets. And very noisy it was. With the
dust of harvesting still on us, we listened to ever more fiery anti-Sharon
speeches of ex-Labor-minister Yuli Tamir, Meretz KM Ran Cohen,
Geneva Agreement participant Dr Menachem Klein, Peace Now's Gaby
Laski and a moving address of Yona Bargur, whose son was killed as
a paratrooper officer seven years ago. More than any other factor, the
"Geneva Accord" and the 39% support it already gained in opinion
polls were setting the tone. Central themes, the "now proven fact that
there is a partner" and also the recent killing of soldiers while guarding
settlements "which should have been dismantled long ago." The
speeches were accompanied by the chanting of slogans of a well-
coordinated group of youths, megaphones in their hands, standing on
the high walls surrounding the gardens of the houses in this beautiful
old neighborhood. Very much booing any time that the name of the PM
or one of the ministers was mentioned. "Sharon - Ason" (Sharon-
Disaster) - "Two States for Two Peoples" - "Kick out the corruption!" -
and the resurrected protest song (melody of a childrens' song) of the
Lebanon War "We will fight for Sharon, and come back in a coffin!"

Concluding message from the podium: "Sorry Mr Prime Minister, sorry
to disappoint you. The danger of peace is not over. It is just getting
started."
 					***

[]  Gush ad "Israeli roulette" in Ha'aretz, October 24

òáøéú áàúø
www.gush-shalom.org

	ISRAELI  ROULETTE

Four soldiers were sent by their commanders into a classic guerilla
ambush. They were sent at night into the center of a Palestinian
village, following a path that could be easily foreseen. Three were killed.

The father of one of them called this "Israeli roulette".

All of us are chips in this roulette. The Sharon government is playing
with our lives and the future of our state.

[and in smaller charackters:]
Picking olives in the shadow of the Wall

Tomorrow, Saturday, we shall participate - in the framework of the
"Olive Picking Coalition" in picking the olives of one of the Palestinian
villages that are mow imprisoned between the Green Line and the Evil
Wall.

Gush Shalom,
Help us with donations to
P.O.Box 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033,
Phone 972-3-5221732.
www.gush-shalom.org
						***

[] Whom to believe? - Avnery answers General Amidror

Uri Avnery
25.10.03

òáøéú áàúø
http://www.gush-shalom.org/archives/article273_heb.html    (Hebrew)
http://www.gush-shalom.org/archives/article273.html   (English)

Whom to Believe? Well...

"Whom do you believe?" asked General Ya'akov Amidror on TV with
subdued anger, "the army spokesman or Hamas?"

General (reserves) Amidror is the highest religious officer in our army.
In the past he has raised several public storms with some utterances
denigrating secular Israelis, saying that they are not real Jews. He has
a sharp mind, much above the average in the army command, and his
intellect is fully employed in serving his extremist views - both the
extremist religious and the extremist nationalist ones.

His question was intended to be rhetorical. After all, the answer is self-
evident: on one side there is the IDF, "the most moral and most
humane army in the world", as it calls itself, and on the other side
there is a bunch of crazy murderers, so what's the problem?

But, according to Amidror himself, the reverse is happening. The world
believes Hamas and does not believe the IDF spokesman. The Israeli
public believes Hamas. Even cabinet ministers and Knesset members
believe Hams and do not believe the army spokesman.

The crisis of confidence was revealed in all its harshness by a series of
events last week in the Gaza Strip. According to the Palestinians, the
army fired air-to-surface missiles at a car in which there were two
Hamas militants. When people from the neighborhood crowded around
the smashed car to see if the could help the victims, they were
attacked by another missile. All in all 14 Palestinians were killed,
among them a doctor who had rushed there to help, and dozens of
others, including many women and children, were wounded.

"A big lie!" the Army Spokesman angrily announced. The army did not
fire another missile at all. It did not hurt civilians! It's just another
vicious Palestinian slander!

So there are two opposing versions, which are completely
incompatible. A matter of either-or. One of the two sides is lying. But
who?

The Palestinian version is supported by the TV and video coverage of
the killed, the funerals, the wounded delivered to the hospitals, as well
as by doctors and journalists, local and foreign. The army version is
supported by the host of Israeli "military correspondents" and "Arab
affairs reporters" on TV, the radio and the newspapers who, almost to a
man, repeat the official line like robots, as if they themselves had
investigated and come to this conclusion.

This time even the heavy artillery joined the battle, headed by Haaretz
military commentator Ze'ev Shiff, whose independent judgements are
often uncannily similar to those of the army command. The Air Force
commander, already up to his neck in the affair of the rebellious
combat pilots, took an unprecedented step and had the official version,
denying the Palestinian story, circulated at all Air force bases.

To reinforce its own story, the Air Force published, after a delay of 24
hours, a clip shot during the action by an army drone (unmanned
aircraft). It clearly shows two missiles fired at the suspect car, with
hardly any civilians in the vicinity. The devoted military correspondents
even used their stopwatches to measure the seconds between missile
A and missile B.

So here we have a perfect riddle. A factual clip against the eye-witness
account of the journalists. What would Sherlok Holmes have said?

Well. Perhaps a Palestinian propagandist of genius invented the whole
thing. The civilians committed suicide or shot each other, dozens of
others wounded themselves, all in order to besmirch the IDF with a
monstrous lie. (By the same logic, the father of little Muhammad al-
Dura killed his son, at the beginning of the present intifada, in order to
slander our brave and upright soldiers).

Another possibility is that not two, but three missiles were used - the
two seen in the clip and a third one later on. In order to find out, one
has to view the whole film, not just an excerpt. And perhaps we are
dealing with two different events altogether.

If the Israeli media were truly independent, instead of being a
department of the security establishment, a dozen Israeli journalists
would have rushed to Gaza on the same day, interviewed the dozens of
wounded in the hospitals, compared the evidence, visited the families
of the dead and taken testimony from eye-witnesses, confronting these
with the army version. But apart from Amira Hass and a Palestinian
correspondent of Channel 2, this kind of independent investigation has
disappeared long ago from our media (and perhaps never existed.)

There remains the rhetorical question posed by General Amidror:
Whom to believe?

The Minister of the Interior Avraham Poraz (Shinui party) and the
Knesset member Zahava Gal'on (Meretz) chose, so it seems, the
Palestinian version and acted accordingly. So did a large number of
other public personalities. That was what raised the hackles of the
army.

But even if we take the official version on trust, we would have to raise
another question: WHY do so many people, in Israel and throughout
the world, believe the Palestinians? In other words, why do they not
believe the army spokesman?

There were times when the army spokesman was believed without
reservation. During the 50s, I was often asked by foreign journalists
whether to believe the army statements. My answer invariably was:
Sure, our army does not lie.

These days are long gone. The occupation, which has corrupted
everything, has corrupted the army statements, too. During the first
intifada, the IDF published hundreds of statements that were manifestly
mendacious. Children "lost their lives" when the army "shot into the
air" (giving rise to bitter jokes about "flying children"). Palestinians were
killed while "trying to wrest weapons from the hands of soldiers". Tall
stories. Baron von Munchhausen would have been envious. Since then,
the situation has become even worse.

During the last 20 years I have followed the work of foreign
correspondents, neutral, pro-Palestinian and pro-Israeli, and almost all
of them trust the Palestinians more than official Israeli spokespersons.

When things get tough, official spokespersons bring up the Jenin affair.
The Palestinians claimed that during the "Defensive Shield" operation
in April 2002 a massacre occurred there. This proved to be an
exaggeration, but the things that did indeed happen there were terrible
enough. For example, many houses were demolished by the drunken
driver of a giant army bulldozer, without any idea whether the
inhabitants were still inside. The terminological battle over the word
"massacre" distracted attention from what actually happened.

Credibility is worth more then gold. It takes years to build up, but just a
few minutes to destroy. Now this affair shows that the credibility of the
army spokesman has fallen into an abyss.

"Whom do you believe?" the general asked. Well?hmm?it's not
pleasant to say, but?
					***

[] "Two missiles were fired" / "The results were very good"

[ Ze'ev Schiff, Haaretz' embedded military commentator, reveals how
the army authorities fight the wave of doubts regarding the IDF's
credibility after the Gaza strike.  That the disbelief was also from within
- as remarked already by Avnery in the above article - was reason for
the army to produce an internal briefing towards all air units. In it is
admitted that "the second missile was fired about a minute after the
first missile struck". Read for yourself how this admission, and its
obvious implication, is buried - as to make it loose all importance.]

IAF report quickly dispels rumors on Gaza strike

By Ze'ev Schiff

Haaretz, Friday Oct. 24

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/353258.html

There is one document that, in some ways, offers even better
testimony than do real-time photographs from a pilotless drone as to
what the Israel Air Force command really knew about Monday's
missile strikes in Gaza. It is an internal report on the operation sent by
IAF headquarters to all air force units.

This document, which reached hundreds of personnel, was sent out
after news reports began claiming that helicopters had deliberately fired
missiles into a crowd of Palestinian civilians gathered near one of the
targets.

The drone's camera showed no such crowd, but the camera's lens
might not see everything happening on the ground around the target.

But anyone who thinks it is possible to lie in a bulletin sent to every
unit of the IAF and not be caught does not know the air force. Any lie
or distortion would quickly be noticed - and leaked.

The bulletin was sent out on Tuesday in response to plea by two IAF
base commanders who, having heard the media reports, wanted to
know what really happened. It was drafted by the head of the
operations division, with the approval of IAF Commander-in-Chief Major
General Dan Halutz. The following are excerpts from the text. The full
text, minus a few operational details having mainly to do with munitions,
appears in today's Hebrew Haaretz; details omitted even in the Hebrew
are marked here by ellipses:

"The following document briefly describes yesterday's [i.e., Monday's]
operational activity. The document is being sent so that you will know
the facts ...

I. The IAF conducted five strikes against terrorist organizations in the
Gaza Strip yesterday ...

III. Following are the operations and the main results, in chronological
order:

A. An attack on a plant for manufacturing explosives: ... Moderate
damage was caused to the building.

B. An attack on a car carrying weapons: Two missiles were fired,
which hit the car directly.

C. An attack on a munitions warehouse: 1. One missile was fired,
which destroyed the building. 2. The building blew up, indicating
the presence of munitions.

D. An attack on a car carrying suicide terrorists: Two missiles were
fired, which hit the car and killed the two suicide terrorists inside it.

E. Another attack on the explosives manufacturing plant (the plant
attacked in item

A):
1. It was attacked with ... to minimize collateral damage.
2. The result was ... and the building was seriously damaged.
3. The attack was halted because people approached.

IV. Main points: ...

C. All the targets were targets belonging to terrorist organizations
engaged in producing arms or organizing attacks.

D. In the planning and execution, maximum efforts were made not to
hurt uninvolved persons. Despite this, when [there is] fighting
against terrorists who deliberately live among a civilian population,
uninvolved persons are sometimes hurt.

E. With respect to the media reports of a missile that went astray and
massive injury to uninvolved persons, it is important that you know the
facts:

1. All the munitions struck their targets exactly.

2. In every attack, at the time the munitions were fired, neither the
operational nor the video films showed any uninvolved persons.

3. There was no firing of munitions into a crowd.

4. In the attack on the car carrying the suicide terrorists, the second
missile was fired about a minute after the first missile struck. At the
time the missile was fired, no uninvolved persons were spotted, but by
the time the missile hit, a small number of people had apparently
already arrived at the scene. In any event, according to the films, there
was no massive injury to uninvolved persons and there was no firing
into a crowd.

V. Summary

A. The results were very good.

B. Planned terror attacks were prevented and many armaments were
assaulted.

C. Maximum precautions were taken, in both planning and execution,
to avoid harming uninvolved persons."

The above document reflects what the IAF knew, but it does not offer a
full explanation for the large number of Palestinian casualties. In any
event, air force policy on the conflict with the Palestinians remains
unchanged, so this is probably not the last time such operational-
ethical questions will arise.
						***

See the attachments for:
--Appeal from Australia to counter the anti-Ashrawi hate campaign
--Hans Lebrecht reports on attempt at the life of MK Issam Mahoul
--the latest ISM report

Please, sign the international petition being organized by the
Stop the Wall movement at the following link:
http://stopthewall.org.il/mashacamp/petition/index.html

>From Hawaiian Gardens to Jerusalem:
about how to stop Irving Moskovitz
http://www.stopmoskowitz.org/

Online support for the pilot's letter;
http://www.tayasim.org.il/support.asp?

--
http://www.gush-shalom.org/ (òáøéú)
http://www.gush-shalom.org/english/index.html (English)

with
\\photos - of actions or otherwise informative
\\the weekly Gush Shalom ad - in Hebrew and English
\\the columns of Uri Avnery - in Hebrew, Arab and English
\\position papers & analysis (in "documents")
\\and a lot more

N.B.:
On the Gush Shalom website links for:
Articles and documents in German, French and Spanish

In order to receive our Hebrew-language
press releases [mostly WORD documents -
not always same as English] mail to:
gush-shalom-heb-request at mailman.gush-shalom.org
+ NB: write the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

If you want to support Gush Shalom's activities you can
send a cheque or cash, wrapped well in an extra piece
of paper to:

Gush Shalom
pob 3322
Tel-Aviv 61033
Israel

or ask us for charities in your country which receive
donations on behalf of Gush Shalom

Please, add your email address where to send our
confirmation of receipt. More official receipts at
request only.