[GushShalom] A-Ram: Occupation according to garbage collection

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Sun Jul 14 00:22:33 IDT 2002

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Saturday, July 13, 2002

There we were, a Gush Shalom delegation joined with Palestinian inhabitants in
holding a vigil under rather uncomfortable conditions: right at the edge of a
pile of garbage, some of it very ripe after five days of the hottest month in
the year, part of it having been set on fire some hours before and with acrid
smoke still blowing. The slogan: "Occupation = living in the garbage".
"Haim Ba'zevel" (living in the garbage) is Hebrew slang for particularly nasty
or depressing situations - which certainly fits the present situation of the
reimposed harsh occupation, but which also happens to be literally true at A-
Ram, a large Palestinian town wedged in between annexed East Jerusalem and re-
occupied Ramallah.
After the few press photographers present took all the pics and footage they
wanted and we moved with a sigh of relief away from the mess, it was possible
to survey our surroundings. The houses around - far from being a slum - were
nice middle-class homes and the street neat and orderly except for that
stinking blemish at its side. In point of fact, A-Ram is not the worst off of
Palestinian towns, and until last week it possessed an efficient system of
garbage removal, industriously built up by Mayor Ra'ed Barghouti in the seven
years of relative freedom which followed the Oslo agreement. For the people of
A-Ram -spared, at least for the time being, from the curfews imposed on most
other West Bank communities - the growing piles of garbage on their streets are
a visible sign that that relative freedom is no more.
Sitting down with the mayor and councillors, as well as with the two Members of
the Palestinian Parliament representing this constituency - Hatem Abdel Khader
and Ahmed El Baz - we heard how the mundane municipal business of garbage
collection and sewers intersected with the escalating Israeli-Palestinian
conflict, to produce unpleasant results for the town's 50,000 inhabitants.
Until recently, the A-Ram Municipality used to send the 80 tons of garbage
daily produced in the town to damp in Al-Bireh, a few kilometers to the north
and in normal times just a few minutes' drive away. But the times are anything
but normal, the army roadblocks multiplied and the minutes lengthened into many
hours which the garbage trucks had to spend in the long lines in front ahead of
the checkpoint. Finally, when Ramallah and Al-Bireh were re-occupied and placed
under curfew, soldiers at the checkpoint altogether denied entry to the A-Ram
trucks.
The mayor found an emergency solution - to reactivate an old garbage damp, at
the edge of its city limits, which had been used by the Jerusalem municipality
until three years ago. They used it for some weeks, taking care to cover the
damped garbage with earth and sprinkle chemicals to prevent it from becoming a
breeding ground for insects. Still, the army seemed very displeased with the
solution found by A-Ram. So displeased that even while complaining that its
forces were spread too thin by the need of combating terrorism, the army found
the manpower for conducting two large-scale raids on A-Ram, on June 30 and July
8 respectively, whose sole purpose was to confiscate the town's entire fleet of
garbage-collecting trucks (which had been donated a few years ago by the
Government of Japan) arrest municipal employees and impose high fines on them.
The employees were then instructed to deliver a message: "everything" would be
set right by a simple personal visit of the mayor to the offices of the Israeli
military government's "civil administration" at the settlement of Beit El; but
should the mayor fail to show up, retribution would come upon him, starting
from his name being entered on the "black list" of individual Palestinians who
are forbidden to go through any Israeli Army roadblock...

This "modest" demand held far-reaching political implications: for a mayor and
his council to submit  to the demand and deal directly with the civil
administration which was supposedly abolished seven years ago would be a formal
recognition of the reimposed occupation... So for the time being the garbage
continues piling up. "If sickness spreads from these piles of garbage, it will
not stop on our side" said Khatem Abdul Khader of the Palestinian Legislative
Council. "We are very near here to the Israeli neighborhood of Neve Ya'akov. It
was built on our lands."

	----
    Full transcript of the war crimes panel available on the Gush site
    For Hebrew   http://www.gush-shalom.org/archives/forum.html
    For English  http://www.gush-shalom.org/archives/forum_eng.html
    French available at request

Also on the site:
    photo's - of action or otherwise informative
    the weekly Gush Shalom ad - in Hebrew and English
    the columns of Uri Avnery - in Hebrew, Arab and English
    (and a lot more)
		http://www.gush-shalom.org

***Why are the volunteer international observers important?***
 Because the United Nations didn't send its protection force.
    Information about the International Solidarity Movement
       - and how to support it in different ways -
            at http://www.palsolidarity.org/

****Palestinian life under occupation, reports and letters****
      at: http://www.gush-shalom.org/english/index.html

In order to receive our Hebrew press releases [mostly WORD documents - not always
same as English] mailto: gush-shalom-heb-request at mailman.gush-shalom.org + NB:
write the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

If you want to support Gush Shalom's activities you can send a cheque or
cash, wrapped well in an extra piece of paper, to:

     Gush Shalom pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033

or ask us for charities in your country which receive donations on behalf of Gush
Shalom

(Please, add your email address where to send our confirmation of receipt.
 More official receipts at request only.)

For more about Gush Shalom  you are invited to visit our renewed website:
               http://www.gush-shalom.org/

]