[GushShalomBillboard] Latest: Gush Shalom CAN be prosecuted + a lot more

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Thu Sep 5 02:53:41 IDT 2002

  //=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//
   // Gush Shalom Billboard //
     //=//=//=//=//=//=//=//=//

[This may be the last message which we send out before Rosh Hashana, New Year.
>From the depth of our heart we hope it will become better and not worse.]

announcements
[1] Friday, Yesh Gvul Rosh Hashanah vigil for the refuseniks
[2] Jerusalem Women in Black change hour in battle for the Kikar
[3] Ta'ayush: Convoy to threatened cave dwellers of South Hebron this Saturday 7/9
    (Gush Shalom is among the co-sponsors of this action)
[4] Protest The Suppression Of Arab Students at Haifa University
[5]  Buy Palestinian grapes from Rabbis for Human Rights
[6] Soldiers speak out - Tzavta 12.9.02

reports & articles
[7] AG changes his mind: Gush Shalom can be prosecuted without change of law
[8] Gush Shalom lodges complaint against chief-of-staff - co-signed by twenty
academic figures and keypersons of other peace groups
[9] Zonshine and other refusnik officers:
     Petition Against The Legality Of The Occupation
[10] Radio station director Amer Abdelhadi, writer of the Nablus curfew diary, punished
[11] Haaretz editorial Sept. 3: A message for the IDF (and for the Prime Minister)
[12] Account by a father of the first schoolday in Al-Bireh/Ramallah

[Through billboard we forward what is on the agenda, based upon our own material and
on announcements received from others. We include articles and reports. For more
information, approach the addresses appearing in each item.]

[1] Friday, Yesh Gvul Rosh Hashanah vigil for the refuseniks
From:           	"ram rahat" <rahat at isdn.net.il>
Date sent:      	Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:18:51 +0200

To the release from a cursed year and to the start of a blessed year of peace
Rosh Hashanah vigil for the refuseniks at prison 6, Athlit

Once again, at Rosh Hashanah this year, some brave people will be imprisoned in
military jails, for listening to their conscience, and saying NO.

The long years of the occupation have led Israel to take part in many war crimes, and
have brought us to a moral, social and economic abyss. Today, more and more
conscripts and reservists are refusing to take part in the oppression of civilians, in the
internment of hundreds of thousands in their homes, of the bombing of crowded
neighborhoods, and the protection of a gang of settlers that carried out a pogrom in
Hebron.
In the past year hundreds of soldiers refused to take part in the occupation, in the
oppression and war crimes in the Occupied Territories. Whoever chose to refuse, did it
by themselves. But when they did, they found us at their side – extending a hand,
counseling and supporting.
On Friday, September 6th, the eve of Rosh Hashanah at 12:30 pm,
we will celebrate the New Year with the imprisoned refuseniks:
-- Ophir Bedusa (sentenced on August 22 to 28 days at Prison 6)
-- Uri Ya’akobi (sentenced on September 1 to 28 days at Prison 4)
--  David Raban (sentenced on September 2 to 7 days at Prison 4)
-- Ro’i Berlin (sentenced on August 19 to 28 days at Prison 6)
Come and join us in a show of support for those imprisoned, and for our hope for a
year without blood, for leaving the Occupied Territories and to peace and living together
with our Palestinian neighbors.
We will also be joined by: the musicians Sharon Ben-Ezer and Ze’ev Tene and the
speakers: Dafna Golan-Agmon , Yitzchak Laor and members of the refuseniks
families.
Meeting point: Bet Oren Junction, on the old Haifa-Hadera road
Transportation: Jerusalem – Binyanei Ha’uma – 10:00
Tel Aviv - The corner of Namir and Arlozorov – 11:15
Estimated end of the vigil – 16:00
Please come with good spirits and cake
www.yesh-gvul.org

[2] Jerusalem Women in Black change hour in battle for the Kikar
Date sent:      	Tue, 03 Sep 2002 23:22:56 +0200
From:           	Gila Svirsky <gsvirsky at netvision.net.il>

Haverot and Haverim:

In a meeting this evening open to all Jerusalem Women in Black, the
following decisions were made:

1. Jerusalem Women in Black will continue to hold our vigil at Kikar Hagar
every Friday.

2. Starting this Friday (erev hag), the Jerusalem vigil will be held at
12:00-13:00 -- one hour earlier than usual.  Following the vigil, the
women will disburse, leaving the right wing without a reason for
demonstrating.  We will continue the vigil at 12:00-13:00 every Friday
until further notice.

3. If the right-wing changes its vigil hour to conflict with ours, the
women will demand that the police prevent them from entering the Kikar.
If the police refuse to prevent their entry, Women in Black will go to
court on the grounds that we changed our vigil to avoid conflict, but the
police are still not protecting our right to demonstrate.

3. Representatives of Women in Black will meet with the Jerusalem Police
for the following purposes:
   a. To inform the police of our decision.
   b. To demand that the police arrest any right wing demonstrators who
seek to interfere with the Women in Black demonstration or chant slogans
declared illegal by the courts.

4.  This Friday, again, it is important that additional women and men join
us at Kikar Hagar at 12:00 because:
(a) Erev Rosh Hashana we expect a smaller turnout of women; and
(b) we need a larger turnout to stake our claim to the Kikar at 12:00.

Many, many thanks for the solidarity of all who came last week.

Women in Black
Jerusalem

[3] Ta'ayush: Convoy to threatened cave dwellers of South Hebron this Saturday 7/9
    (Gush Shalom is among the co-sponsors of this action)

From:           	"Ta'ayush Arab-Jewish" <arab_jewish at hotmail.com>
Date sent:      	Mon, 02 Sep 2002 10:08:47 +0200

The convoy to South Hebron Mount will take place earlier than expected on Saturday
the 7th of September (instead of Sunday).
Yes, we know it falls on Rosh Hashanna, but the decisive Supreme Court
hearings(BAGGATS) are starting on Tuesday the 10th of September, and this time it
will not be postponed further. The fate of the inhabitants in South of Mount Hebron will
be decided there. It might be  the culmination of our more than a year long efforts to
support our friends there in their struggle against the Israeli government attempts to
coomit a population transfer in the region.
Massive participation is crucial  both at  the convoy and at the supreme court hearing.
Convoy - meeting place: Ksatinna junction/Kiryat Mlaakhi junction (the next junction
after Masmia/Raem junction), in front of the restaurant at 10:00 AM.
We will travel in a convoy of private cars and in buses.

Bring with you: hat,  lots of water, sunscreen and I.D
More details will follow about transportation from different cities in Israel - check your e-
mail.

[4] Protest The Suppression Of Arab Students at Haifa University