[GushShalomPress] Sharon lashes out again against Gush Shalom

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Sun Sep 8 02:10:25 IDT 2002

GUSH SHALOM - pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 - http://www.gush-shalom.org/

Press release

= == == = == = == = == == = == = == == == = == = == == = == == == = == =
Sharon attacks Gush Shalom in Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) radio address
= == == = == = == = == == = == = == == == = == = == == = == == == = == =

In his New Year interview on the radio, Sharon once more lashed out against Gush
Shalom. Seemingly as a spontaneous answer to a spontaneous question the PM
came up with a long quote of the ancient historian Josephus Flavius about how the
Romans nearly 2000 years  ago defeated the Jews "who were fighting among
themselves".  All this was intended to show the Israeli public how evil and abject is
Gush Shalom for having sent warning letters to officers of the Israeli army, officers who
had openly boasted about acts which constitute violations of the Geneva Conventions.
By telling the officers that what they themselves had told the media might be used as
evidence in court - an Israeli court or an international court - the Gush Shalom activists
earned already twice in the past months a furious outburst of the PM, who demanded
of the Attorney General to probe Gush Shalom for it - not to mention a widely
publicized attack by Israeli Air Force commander Dan Halutz and sundry broadsides
by various ministers, Knesset Members and
columnists.
This week, the Attorney General came however to the conclusion that there was no reason to
prosecute Gush Shalom. Thereupon, the Minister of Justice announced that he would take
legislative measures to bring the Gush Shalom activists to trial anyway. On the following day the
Attorney General told him that there was no need: Gush Shalom members could after all be put on
trial within the present legislation.

The newest chapter in this war of nerves: PM Ariel Sharon decided to carry on his personal hate
campaign against Gush Shalom. Former Knesset member and Gush Shalom leder Uri avnery
commented: "Israelis remember very well what was the  result of that earlier hate campaign -
against Rabin - in which Sharon played quite a central role."

In the same radio interview, Sharon also said that he did not feel a sense of failure as a result o
the increasing terror, the economic crisis and the diminished prospects for peace during his
tenure. "It was indeed a difficult year, but I think that we must also look back on the
achievements," he said. "First, we established a national unity government, which is no small
feat. On the terror front, we waged war against terror and the Palestinian Authority, which tried
to break us. We didn't break, but stood fast. The battle is not yet over."
The question rises: Is the PM planning a further escalation, involving measures which might get
him and his military officers in trouble with the new Hague War Crimes Court? Could that be
why he wants Gush Shalom out of his way?
For more information:
Adam Keller, spokesperson  +972-3-5565804 / +972-56-709603 / +972-56-709604