(GushShalom] Israel has no right to try Barghouti

Gush Shalom (Israeli Peace Bloc) info at gush-shalom.org
Fri Oct 4 01:08:59 IDT 2002

GUSH SHALOM - pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033 - http://www.gush-shalom.org/

It was just a bit over two years ago - September 12, 2000. The Peace Tent
was erected in the plaza outside the Tel-Aviv Cinemateque, under the
slogan  "Israel and Palestine - Two States Now!". In the list of featured
speakers it was no surprise to see the name of Marwan Barghouti, member
of the Palestinian Legislative Council, together with such speakers as Dalia
Rabin, Uri Avnery and Tamar Gozanski...
A speaker of fluent Hebrew - picked up in prison during the first Intifada -
and the personal friend of many Israelis from all  over the political spectrum,
Barghouti attended innumerable such events during  the seven years of the
Oslo process - always emphasizing his firm support for  the two-state
solution.
Just two weeks later, Ariel Sharon staged his Temple Mount provocation,
embroiling the peoples in a cycle of bloodshed which is still far from ended.
And today Marwan Barghouti had another public appearance in Tel-Aviv, just
a few streets away from the Cinemateque: a handcuffed prisoner, he was
brought to the Tel-Aviv District Court, there to be charged by the state of
Israel with heinous acts of terrorism.

A number of Gush Shalom activists arrived at the court - among them Uri
and Rachel Avnery - together with representatives of Machsom-Watch, New
Profile, and Women for Peace. We had come  two hours in advance to be
sure of a place in the courtroom.
After a prolonged wait in front of a locked door, a band of security men
emerged to push us far back and announce that admittance would be
restricted to  those on a list prepared long in advance. The only journalists
allowed were  those on a specific "pool" - just when and by whom it was
defined was not  clear, but quite a few well-known Israeli and foreign
journalists found  themselves out. As for the general public, it turned out
that "Families of the  vicitims of terrorism" were to be given precedence -
such precedence that once  they went in there was no place left for
anybody else. ("Sorry, the courtroom  is full, no more places inside").

The suicide bombings of the past two years, indiscriminate as they were,
have  hit at all parts of the Israeli population (the same could be said for the
Palestinians killed and wounded in the scarcely less indiscriminate
bombings and bombardments by Israeli tanks and aircraft). In the sad ranks
of the bereaved families, all political opinions could be represented.  But the
families selected for the privilege of being present in the courtroom during
the Barghouti trial were all of the extreme right.
Thus was produced the scene which we could see on our TV screens
tonight:  Barghouti, on his entry to the courtroom, meeting a uniformly
hostile audience,  which throughout the proceedings continued to shout
abuse at the accused in the dock and his lawyers. Any hint that some parts
of the Israeli society had a different attitude was carefully excluded from
that courtroom, but not - as it turned out - from the media coverage.

We were left outside the locked doors - among the chaotic medley of
Israelis  and Palestinians, Jews and Arabs, right-wingers and left-wingers,
activists,  police and security men, all mixed up in an increasingly heated
atmosphere. The stickers which we wore on our clothing, improvised on the
previous evening for exaactly the case that we wouldn't be allowed in, bore
the slogan "Barghouti to negotiations - not to trial". It drew considerable
attention, some of it adverse.  Debates often degenerated into shouting
matches and bitter recriminations. We were faced with bereaved family
members with  genuine grief. But does even grief for a daughter killed in a
suicide bombing - incidentally, one which happened when Barghouti was
already behind bars -  justify a woman in rudely shouting at any Palestinian
she could see "You are  aliens here, foreigners! This is our land and ours
only!")?

On the TV news the outdoors events got considerable attention, probably to
th e chagrin of those who wanted it to be a neat show trial.

The biggest surprise however was given by the youngest member of
Barghouti's legal team, Advocate Shammai Leibowitz  - like his grandfather
the late Professor Yeshayahu Leibowitz an Orthodox Jew adept at giving
unorthodox interpretations. "The struggle of the Palestinians to be free of
the occuption is reminiscent of the Exodus of our forfathers from Egypt.
Moses had killed an Egyptian foreman which he saw beating a Hebrew
slave, and had to flee from Egypt. The Egyptian aurhorities had no right to
try Moses like Israel now has no right to try Barghouti."

[Reported by Adam Keller]

---
---
This Gush Shalom list will from now on only be sending Gush Shalom
messages. The "Billboard" (including forwarded announcements and
commentaries of a variety of  groups and individuals) will be sent
by The Other Israel on a separate list. You can subscribe to the
Billboard list by sending one blank mail to

TOI_Billboard-subscribe at topica.com

and reply afterwards to the confirmation request.

	----

    Full transcript of the war crimes panel available on the Gush site
    For Hebrew   http://www.gush-shalom.org/archives/forum.html
    For English  http://www.gush-shalom.org/archives/forum_eng.html
    French available at request

Also on the site:
    photo's - of action or otherwise informative
    the weekly Gush Shalom ad - in Hebrew and English
    the columns of Uri Avnery - in Hebrew, Arab and English
    (and a lot more)
		http://www.gush-shalom.org

									*   *
    Palestinian life under occupation, reports and letters
      at: http://www.gush-shalom.org/english/index.html

    Why are the volunteer international observers important?
    Because the United Nations didn't send its protection force.
    Information about the International Solidarity Movement
       - and how to support it in different ways -
            at http://www.palsolidarity.org/

									*   *

In order to receive our Hebrew press releases [mostly WORD documents -
not always same as English]
mailto:gush-shalom-heb-request at mailman.gush-shalom.org
+ NB: write the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

If you want to support Gush Shalom's activities you can send a cheque or
cash, wrapped well in an extra piece of paper, to:

     Gush Shalom pob 3322, Tel-Aviv 61033

or ask us for charities in your country which receive donations on behalf of
Gush Shalom

(Please, add your email address where to send our confirmation of receipt.
 More official receipts at request only.)

For more about Gush Shalom  you are invited to visit our website:
               http://www.gush-shalom.org/